8 Replies - 1351 Views - Last Post: 07 February 2010 - 10:47 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

MAKING a 3D game

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:54 AM

:) Hi guys i'm a new member in this group.I'm in need of help.Me and my friend have decided to make a 3d game of resolution 1024 x 768 almost similar to a high graphic texture game.I need to know how much time will it take to develop such a good quality game if we work about 12 - 30 hrs a week.And also we are preparing another low texture game may be 2d or 3d for the submission as mini-project for this year in our college, I have 3-4 months for the 2-d game.But the first mentioned game will require more time since i am aware of the loads of work we have to do.Now my another question is how to begin i have about a 1000 tutorials downloaded about game programming.Now i will list my specifications

#I don't want any game developing softwares .I wants this game by pure programming(I mostly prefer the programming languages like C++ because i know them a bit).
#List the time and crew required for this to work effectively
# What are the basic steps and tutorials required to make this a success in a considerable amount of time.

#########My main question is list the tutorials i need to know mainly in programming section(in C,C++,JAVA,...) and graphic section (animation movements character design,story plot development),audio section to program and add music and edit it and the expenses for all these.I'm not in the condition to buy any softwares from the internet so please specify the freewares and easily avail ables###############

#Also please give me step to ste advice and tips required to make this game a success and effective.
Thanking you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: MAKING a 3D game

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: MAKING a 3D game

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:44 AM

View Postnanduvegetassj, on 05 February 2010 - 01:54 AM, said:

:) Hi guys i'm a new member in this group.I'm in need of help.Me and my friend have decided to make a 3d game of resolution 1024 x 768 almost similar to a high graphic texture game.I need to know how much time will it take to develop such a good quality game if we work about 12 - 30 hrs a week.And also we are preparing another low texture game may be 2d or 3d for the submission as mini-project for this year in our college, I have 3-4 months for the 2-d game.But the first mentioned game will require more time since i am aware of the loads of work we have to do.Now my another question is how to begin i have about a 1000 tutorials downloaded about game programming.Now i will list my specifications

#I don't want any game developing softwares .I wants this game by pure programming(I mostly prefer the programming languages like C++ because i know them a bit).
#List the time and crew required for this to work effectively
# What are the basic steps and tutorials required to make this a success in a considerable amount of time.

#########My main question is list the tutorials i need to know mainly in programming section(in C,C++,JAVA,...) and graphic section (animation movements character design,story plot development),audio section to program and add music and edit it and the expenses for all these.I'm not in the condition to buy any softwares from the internet so please specify the freewares and easily avail ables###############

#Also please give me step to ste advice and tips required to make this game a success and effective.
Thanking you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D

First question - what's your level of experience programming?
Second - do either of you have experience with graphics, sound, story design, and level design?
Third, what genre of game are you planning on making?
Fourth define 'good quality game'? Is that some AAA game that will compete with WoW or MassEffect?
Fifth, how well long do you plan on testing this game?
Sixth, what sort of game experience are you going for? How long will this game take to beat, etc?

Since you say you know C++ I would advocate using the XNA framework from Microsoft. It compiles with c# and is quite helpful in making a game for windows or Xbox.

Crew - it all depends on the above questions.
Time - it depends on above and how many people you feel like hiring..

"What are the basic steps and tutorials required to make this a success in a considerable amount of time." - You have "about a 1000 tutorials downloaded" so you should have a good idea what steps are needed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

You should check out Unreal Engine 3.
For 3d games you will need 3D models and animations to.

Lots &
lots &
lots &
lots of work. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:20 PM

what's your level of experience programming?

I studied c++ for about almost 1year.
My friend knows more than me

do either of you have experience with graphics, sound, story design, and level design?

well i'm deciding to work a little bit in graphics so i need only the introduction and the basic concepts.For the game i have found a guy who is now studying modelling in MAYA.

Third, what genre of game are you planning on making?

I'm trying to make a Racing game at the first as a trial project the real one is a platformer with 2 or three levels

'good quality game'? Is that some AAA game that will compete with WoW or MassEffect?

i just meant that it shouuld be qualified enough in every aspect that the player should be intrested.

how well long do you plan on testing this game?

If you are asking the duration of this project almost 2years(since my engineering project should be submitted before my graduation.I'm now on II year Engineering).

Sixth, what sort of game experience are you going for? How long will this game take to beat, etc?
It should not be too high or too low for my taste it should keep the player interested that's all.

Since you say you know C++ I would advocate using the XNA framework from Microsoft. It compiles with c# and is quite helpful in making a game for windows or Xbox.

Well is it a software or something please explain about it?

"What are the basic steps and tutorials required to make this a success in a considerable amount of time." - You have "about a 1000 tutorials downloaded" so you should have a good idea what steps are needed.

I have a 1000 tutorials regarding this that I've downloaded from the internet but since the time is limited i need to which should be referred the most.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:20 PM

View Postnanduvegetassj, on 06 February 2010 - 08:20 PM, said:

Well is it a software or something please explain about it?

Yes, XNA is software. The XNA Framework is a basically a set of libraries that help you develop games. It uses C#, so you need to be familiar with the .NET Framework.

For a large, high-quality game, your going to need some type of framework or engine (or make your own).

Games tend to take a very long time to complete.They must be carefully designed before you even begin to code. Depending on the size of the game, it can take anywhere from a few months to a few years to complete a game.

You need to know the language you are going to work with very well. You'll need to be pretty good at math, specifically trigonometry. You'll also need to be learn some physics.

Try to pick a language that you feel comfortable with. After that, choose a framework/engine. Since you know C++, perhaps SDL or OpenGL or maybe a combination of the two.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:05 PM

Yes, XNA is software.

kinda...
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:54 PM

The XNA is 100% software. It can't be "kinda" software unless you had to go out to the store and buy an XNA hardware card or something.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:59 AM

that is why I said kinda. You don't find it and "run" it like a normal program. It is like an add-on basically. So yeah technically it is software.
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:47 AM

View PostTheaegd, on 07 February 2010 - 10:59 AM, said:

that is why I said kinda. You don't find it and "run" it like a normal program. It is like an add-on basically. So yeah technically it is software.

Software doesn't need to be "run". For example, the .NET Framework is a layer of software.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1