Best Graduate School?

What is the best graduate school for CS majors?

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 792 Views - Last Post: 07 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Best Graduate School?

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:32 PM

Hello,

After graduating with a double major in Computer Science and Information Assurance, I am planning to switch to a more prestigious school in order to get a Master's or possibly a Doctoral degree. I was just curious as to what your personal opinions of some universities were as far as their graduate programs go. What are the requirements to be accepted in to them? What are pitfalls that I may need to look out for? What should I do now in order to prepare? What would look best on a résumé?

Any and all opinions are helpful.
Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best Graduate School?

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best Graduate School?

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:44 AM

What "track"/specialization do you want to do? What is your definition of prestigious? (It would help to know what school you got your BS from to give some perspective).

You gave just enough information to not be helpful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

I want to continue with Computer Science or InfoSec fields. I'm looking for a school that would look good on a résumé such as MIT or University of California at Berkeley. I'm currently attending a state university in the mid-west.

While doing some browsing, I came across this page:
Grad Schools

Let me know your thoughts on some schools.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

I'm looking for a school that would look good on a résumé

First off that's a terrible reason to go to school.

What do you want to do out in the world? There's not really a point to getting a master's immediately after your BS without some experience in between; you'll appreciate it more that way. A PhD is pointless unless you want to teach or do research or you just like academia.

This post has been edited by KYA: 06 February 2010 - 11:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

View PostKYA, on 06 February 2010 - 10:03 AM, said:

I'm looking for a school that would look good on a résumé

First off that's a terrible reason to go to school.

What do you want to do out in the world? There's not really a point to getting a master's immediately after your BS without some experience in between; you'll appreciate it more that way. A PhD is pointless unless you want to teach or do research or you just like academia.

I guess I can agree with you. But looking good on a résumé isn't the reason I'm going to college, it's just what I'm currently asking you to answer.

I'm not exactly sure what I want to do. I may end up teaching or doing research, I may end up doing software dev for a large company, or I may end up doing information security consultation.

As far as work experience, I've been working since I was 11 years old. I'm constantly looking for the next best job or internship to further my knowledge of the field that I'm interested in. I'm betting that I'll be working while going for my Master's or PhD as well.

On the topic of getting a PhD, my family on my dad's side all have Doctorates (mostly because they are in medical professions) and I just have always thought that I would like to get one as well no matter what field I went in to. In addition to that, I love learning and I will probably continue to take college courses or be doing research well into retirement. It's just fun.

Let me know if you have additional questions or need me to clarify an opinion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

I am starting IIT in Chicago in the Fall. For me, that was the best school. I don't think anyone can answer this question for you - you seem to know the name of top ranked schools, but it will depend on where you want to be, what school sounds the best to you, etc. For me, IIT was really the only one in Chicago with the software engineering major that I wanted along with online classes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1