• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 2901 Views - Last Post: 19 April 2006 - 04:06 PM

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Changes in IE and multimedia pages

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:06 PM

<flame> I think it has been said a thousand times, but the arrogance of MS towards (web) standards really makes me hate them. If I work on something and it looks strange in IE, I first check in FF. If it looks strange in FF, then I check it with a validator. However plenty of developers only check their sites in IE, and if it works in it, they just don't care anymore, and they can get away with it, thanks to the dominance of Infernal Exploder... - and they would be surprised to learn that their message is not gonna reach those guys using a platform that doesn't have IE!</flame>

<flame2>Now, all this said, I must say that I think in this particular case it is not MS who was caught with the pants down, but the American patent system. This is again a case when something obvious was patented in hope for some easy bucks, but MS decided to tell them to get off, and present us with this idiot thing - I think I can't blame them for this one!</flame2>

Ok, back to the topic. I used simple object embedding a couple of times, so I went back to fix this where it was causing problems. What I liked most, is that if I put the embedding script into the page, it fails to activate the object automagically, but if it is referenced from an outer file(src="..), it works fine. So I guess it means that IE has to track which javascript function was included from external sources, and which one was declared within the page. The bottom line: don't try putting the embedding script into the page, it must be included from an external .js file.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +