4 Replies - 397 Views - Last Post: 11 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Languages

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:22 AM

My University doesn't offer C#, ASP.NET, PHP, or Ruby. Should I try and squeeze tutorials from here into my summer schedules so that I can say I have at least some experience with those languages? Or should I even worry?

..and why if it's considered the oldest language, are they offering COBOL?

They offer 3 different CIS concentrations: General, Information Assurance, and Web Development

why would they offer web development if the only class they have is an intro course to web development and not actually applying any languages associated with it?

I NEED ANSWERS AS TO WHY MY COLLEGE BLOWS!!!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Languages

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Languages

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:39 PM

If you have the time, I'd suggest learning C# and PHP out of those 4. C# will make it easy to transition to Java, and PHP is a good, non-Microsoft language to learn. And while it is being used less and less, many large corporations are still hiring good COBOL developers to maintain their old systems. As to why your college blows, I have no idea. However, you did choose it. :p
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:18 AM

what college might you be attending?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:07 AM

View Postbillyhen, on 11 February 2010 - 10:18 AM, said:

what college might you be attending?

I'm a junior at Jacksonville State University in Alabama.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

To be honest, if you have any spare time, most of these languages do not need a lot of tutoring for. So you could quite easily use some tutorials on the internet and learn them. I highly recommend C# and PHP. ASP.NET has some nice features and is fairly easy to quickly create a dynamic website but for some reason, I just do not like it. So I stick with PHP for home and client projects and ASP.NET for college.

To be honest, if you have any spare time, most of these languages do not need a lot of tutoring for. So you could quite easily use some tutorials on the internet and learn them.

I highly recommend C# and PHP. ASP.NET has some nice features and is fairly easy to quickly create a dynamic website but for some reason, I just do not like it. So I stick with PHP for home and client projects and ASP.NET for college.

Ruby is a nice language than I am seeing more and more often, so have a look at that too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1