How to CF in Two Weeks!

No, really, where should I start?

Page 1 of 1

8 Replies - 1517 Views - Last Post: 24 February 2010 - 02:06 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

How to CF in Two Weeks!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:39 PM

Hey Everyone,

I just landed a job that requires me to us CF on a daily basis. However, the majority of my experience is with Java and C/C++. What I'm looking for is anything and everything that you can give me that would enhance my knowledge of ColdFusion. I want to be proficient and comfortable with the language in a couple weeks so let me know anything that would help me on the road to becoming a CF developer.

Many thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to CF in Two Weeks!

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: How to CF in Two Weeks!

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:14 AM

Okay the first thing you probably want to do... is quit a job that expects you to be proficient in a programming language in 2 weeks. I did a 3 month internship for my ColdFusion job, and am still learning new stuff all the time 2 years later.

Now if you still want to try to learn ColdFusion then let us know where you are expected yo use it; in website development or web application development. As far as website's all you will really need to know is the basic layout features and probably SQL with CF Functions. Your best bet would be to go out to borders and by the ColdFusion Web Application Construction Kit (often times refered to as CF WACK). It is a three volume set, but you will really only need the first volume.

If you are looking to do full on Web Application then go back to step one... or buy all three books and don't plan on sleeping for the next 2 weeks. Coffee is a good suggestion too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the input heartonfire.

Please be advised that this is by no means what the employer would be expecting. It is an internship and it is all about learning. I am just excited to get learning before actually walking in to the place.

As far as what direction I'd be taking, I'm not exactly sure. I think it's more about modifying code that is already in place rather than building from the ground up so I would like to know every aspect. Did I mention that it's all about learning?

I'll definitely take a look in to CF WACK (thanks for that tip). In the meantime though, do you know of any online resources that I could use? Is there an easy way to get a setup at my home that I could write some simple programs on to get the basics of it? Any further advice is welcome!

Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:33 AM

You can get setup right on your local computer. Adobe offers a 100% free ColdFusion developer addition, which lets you develop enterprise level application completely locally, which makes it greate for testing and learning. Also you can download MSSQL Express to get going with the SQL part of ColdFusion which I think has been the biggest thing I have used in my development career. The ColdFusion Developer Center and Livedocs is a great place to start online. Especcialy the Dev Center (some great tutorials there). Other than that you will probably want to start following some bloggers (Raymond Camden AKA "The ColdFusion Jedi" and Ben Forta are probably the biggest names in the bussiness right now) I think one of the best things to have is a good RSS Reader, because that is really the way to keep up with new tutorials, demos, and news in ColdFusion. I have a blog right now as well at davelong.tumblr.com. I have not been able to post lately, but will probably be posting a demo of setting up ColdFusion in ColdFusion Builder (a free beta IDE built on eclipse).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:13 AM

HeartOnFire,

Thank you so much for all this information! This is exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for. I'll get started on downloading the CF Developer and SQL right away.

Thanks again!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:29 AM

Great. Glad I could help
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:02 AM

Given that it's now a couple of weeks later, I'd be curious to know how this turned out. "Comfortable and proficient within a few weeks" is a pretty tall order. Java and C/C++ atleast gives you a solid dev background (so you're not having to learn the logic of development) but proficient in anything brand new within a couple weeks sounded like a tough hill to climb.

Just curious to know how it's all working out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:46 AM

View PostCraig328, on 24 February 2010 - 07:02 AM, said:

Given that it's now a couple of weeks later, I'd be curious to know how this turned out. "Comfortable and proficient within a few weeks" is a pretty tall order. Java and C/C++ atleast gives you a solid dev background (so you're not having to learn the logic of development) but proficient in anything brand new within a couple weeks sounded like a tough hill to climb.

Just curious to know how it's all working out.

I understand some of the history of CF and how the language came about. I know where to go if I need to read more about a specific CF function. I'm grasping the basics of work-flow direction and variable manipulation. I've done a little work with databases as well.

I've also been reading about how HTML works which has taught me a lot about the concept of tags and how to use them.

I'm definitely not a programmer worth being paid very much yet, but I'm at the point I wanted to be at in order to begin working as a CF developer. I understand a lot of the potential and context of the language enough to think, I bet they have a function for the specific action I'm trying to perform. Although I may not know the specific syntax of how to get it working, I know where I can find it.

Thanks for asking :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:06 PM

Ah! Well then, let me assist your progress even further. I've been doing CF work for a little over 11 years now and without a doubt I still lean heavily on a few resources everyday to get the job done.

- Adobe Livedocs (this is for CF8 but there are others): http://livedocs.adob...ent=splash.html Everything you need to know about CF tags and CF functions you can find on Livedocs. Handier than having a CF book on your desk.

- CFLib: http://www.cflib.org You're absolutely right when you said "I bet they have a function for the specific action I'm trying to perform. Although I may not know the specific syntax of how to get it working, I know where I can find it" because the answer oftentimes is CFLib. They re-organized it a few years ago so things aren't as easy to find on there now as they used to be (IMO) but it's still an excellent resource.

- CF Search Engine: http://www.google.co...406:ttj6oz4dukc On the odd occasion where I can't find what I'm looking for amongst the dozens of bookmarks I keep, I'll give this a shot. I normally am able to find what I want before I arrive here...but this place is a great "last resort" stop.

In addition to those, you should avail yourself of a superior database resources and keep them bookmarked. I use both SQL Server and MySQL everyday but there's no single resource for either that I depend on. When you find one, bookmark it. Same thing goes for Javascript resource sites and CSS resource sites. I know everyone is all a-twitter about Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 and Web blabla.0 but in the end, being able to produce a sleek, efficient HTML based site/app still pays for itself every time. Once upon a time, everyone was gaga about Flash sites. These days they're pretty much universally reviled so learning the basic site tools is still essential because what's today's fad is tomorrow's old news.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1