• (3 Pages)
  • +

30 Replies - 1386 Views - Last Post: 12 February 2010 - 10:29 AM

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

So What's New On DIC?

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:47 PM

Wanted to start a little thread to talk about some of the new features in the new forums. Post stuff you've found that's new/improved.

I love the new [ member=skyhawk133 ] tag (no spaces) to do this: skyhawk133 <-- Click it!!! and I've already got a developer that's going to make it show their name in the correct color based on their group.

The PM's let you invite multiple people in to a conversation so you can have little mini-convos with more than 1 person in private.

The new [ media ] [ /media ] tag that lets you put just about any YouTube URL in it and it shows it as the video.

What are some of the new things you've found?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: So What's New On DIC?

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: So What's New On DIC?

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:00 PM

I also like the features that you mentioned Chris, in addition i like the profile look..i like it better than the old one, especially the comments section and the status feature, the about me thing too. I also like the feature of finding one's posts and topics quickly.. The editor that opens when we fast reply to a topic is pretty cool as well... overall i think the upgrade has brought a better DIC :). I hope to see more improvements coming, especially with the social part of adding friends to your profile..who knows, maybe we wont need facebook anymore :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:03 PM

Speaking of Facebook, we need to look in to it, but I recently tested the facebook integration that actually imports your facebook status to DIC, as well as your FaceBook picture, and let's you login to DIC if you're already logged in to FaceBook. Kind of sweet. But the importing wasn't working for me when I tested it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:06 PM

wow, that's really cool..hey Chris, since we are all developers here, howcome there was never a DIC project, like an open source project, where DIC heads get to collaborate together and create something useful for this community?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• THE PEN IS MIGHTIER
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:44 PM

View Postmostyfriedman, on 11 February 2010 - 04:06 PM, said:

wow, that's really cool..hey Chris, since we are all developers here, howcome there was never a DIC project, like an open source project, where DIC heads get to collaborate together and create something useful for this community?

This would be cool. Only problem I'd see is that there are so many different programming languages grouped together here, it would be hard to create a single project that everyone could participate in.

As for the features, profiles are awesome. I've had trouble with the editor at times, but I still like it more. Overall, good changes. I could totally see DIC evolving into a facebook-like information site for programmers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:09 PM

View Postskyhawk133, on 11 February 2010 - 06:47 PM, said:

I've already got a developer that's going to make it show their name in the correct color based on their group.

:)

Good, because I can't color the text with in conjunction with the [member] tag. It's always black.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Darken the Radar

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

I think it was already (attempted?/ still in the works?) to make an open-source project that DIC users could contribute too, check the Share your Project section to be sure.

As to the new site skin I think it looks nice. I don't like the new topic icons (they just look misplaced) but the actual topic interface is a nice improvement (it's easier to post). I also like the new look of quotes when quoting another user. It's a nice change of pace, keep up the improvements.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:21 PM

Have you noticed when you do "View New Posts" the threads you've replied in now have the little paperclip with a tiny piece of paper to show you it's a thread you posted in. It used to put a little L shape, but never in the searches like that. Very handy to see which threads you posted in have new replies.

Have you also noticed that in a forum view, you can go to the bottom of the forum in the black bar where it says "Click here to show filter options" and show JUST the topics you replied to or JUST the topics you started?

Or in a post in the same location at the bottom you can HIDE any post that has been voted down.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:25 PM

View Postskyhawk133, on 11 February 2010 - 08:21 PM, said:

Have you noticed when you do "View New Posts" the threads you've replied in now have the little paperclip with a tiny piece of paper to show you it's a thread you posted in. It used to put a little L shape, but never in the searches like that. Very handy to see which threads you posted in have new replies.

That has actually been one of my favorite additions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

Mine as well. Will help out in Java forums when I go to see how they responded to my help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

What the heck is this report center thing on my My Profile pulldown menu?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:40 PM

It's actually a moderator only feature, it'll be removed shortly. Permissions were setup wrong on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:53 PM

I really like the new reputation system instead of the thanks thing. Being able to vote things up and down is pretty neat. I would have liked for it to be removed in the caffeine lounge though. The media tag is nice as well as the member tag. The highlighting based on the user group will be a good addition to that. Locke is great with using color for memebers but member groups change over time. People get promoted for example.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

Yep, the only downfall...:(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:13 PM

Since nobody seems to have voted me down so far, I like the new rep system. lol

It would be cool if you could easily find which posts of yours have been voted up or down, though. It's nice to know what kind of advice people find helpful or what is not.

I like that you can edit PM's, and as has been mentioned, the member & media tags.

Have you also noticed that in a forum view, you can go to the bottom of the forum in the black bar where it says "Click here to show filter options" and show JUST the topics you replied to or JUST the topics you started?

No, but I was wondering about that. I knew you could do that before.

I was also wondering if you could add more people to a PM session. How do you do that?
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +