• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 1558 Views - Last Post: 13 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

• Java Enthusiast
  • member icon

• View blog

My First Website

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

I would like some honest feedback. I know there are a lot of things that need to be improved but I feel sometimes other people will notice stuff that I miss when I am looking at it myself. http://www.dragonkwest.net/
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My First Website

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My First Website

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:14 PM

Personally, I really dislike the color scheme on the homepage. And the Runescape page gives me a headache. Also, you may consider putting in a consistent navigation on every page. It's a real pain to have to use the "back" and "forward" buttons to navigate a site.

edit: also, on your forums, you might want to spell descriptions correctly, because otherwise you look unprofessional.

Those are primarily visual things, but visual "thin"s are important. Also, the image at the top of your forums page is not showing.

This post has been edited by Dogstopper: 12 February 2010 - 03:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Java Enthusiast
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:20 PM

What don't you like about the runescape page? What do you dislike about the homepage.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• En man från Sverige!

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

You should put more time into the design. Yours is a bit too simple and unfortunately some people get "discouraged" by a design like this. If you need ideas google on 'webdesign' or 'weblayout'. The background color and text color doesn't fit, the text get hard to read with that color. http://www.programme...es/wscchart.gif is a good picture with web-safe colors.

If you are new too web-design you should practice with things you find hard :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:51 PM

Like I said, the color scheme doesn't fit the other colors particularly well.The tiled background on the Runescape page.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:57 PM

You made some curious coding decisions.

I think I counted 3 body tags.

A CSS file that was located in: CSS/CSS.css

</body><body bgcolor="#1E90FF"></body><title>Dragon Kwest - Home
</title></body></html></div>

These two lines are... weird.

Your first order of business should be to buy an HTML book. And then a CSS book. Honestly, re-do the entire thing after that and it will be a million times better. Not trying to be mean.

I just checked your profile and it says you are 12 years old. If that is the case, then I say, bravo for trying. I wish I got started that early.

This post has been edited by happycamper: 12 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (cons :dic :head)

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:33 PM

Yellow on blue is bad. Stick to black on white.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• THE PEN IS MIGHTIER
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

As I am more of a programmer and not a designer, I'll supply a little feedback on the code.

Your HTML code is baffling, to be honest. The site works, so I'll give you credit there, but your tags are all mixed up. HTML tags should be the first and last thing of the page. All page content should be placed between the BODY tags. Here is a very simple page layout in HTML:

<html>
  <head>
    <title>page title</title>
  </head>
  <body>
    <div id="content">
      <!-- content stuff here -->
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

This is just a basic example, but you can see the organizational flow of HTML tags. Hope it helps a bit. You should definitely read some more about HTML.

That being said, good luck! Nobody starts out as a professional, so practice and read tutorials/books. My first website looked very similar, but over time I learned and got better. Keep at it and have fun.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:18 PM

I agree about the navigation. Although they were BEAUTIFUL pictures, it was a pain in the rear to have to hit the back button 7 times to get "home". On the bright side, you didn't have an entire album, therefore I didn't have to click 70 times :). The color scheme reminds me of my favorite NCAA team, Michigan...although it isn't great design for a site, I can live with being reminded of MICHIGAN everytime I were to visit your site. :-)
It is evident that you are beginning. Practice makes perfect! Keep at it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:51 PM

@FrozenSnake - Web Safe is dead, leave it there where it belongs.
-@OP Regarding - Ignore this completely. Yes, your colors need some MAJOR work. See the following tutorials/references for color:
Smashing Magazine's Color Theory:
http://www.smashingm...aning-of-color/
http://www.smashingm...nd-terminology/
http://www.smashingm...color-palettes/

@Programble - NO. NEVER use black and white only, it should be a sin in most cases. Black in heavy amounts (or white) at their absolute highest values are shown to create strain. Instead, use a dark charcoal(#121212) or off white/light grey (#efefef). This improves readability, length of stay, and can help accent headers that may be closer to absolute colors.

To the point though. I don't judge based on age, I've seen some 14-15 year olds that can keep on par with me while I've seen "professional" 25+ that have no idea whatsoever. Age is irrelevant, skill is key.

The color should be trashed entirely, look at those articles on choosing a good theme and start practicing.

The menu should be standard across ALL pages, you can do this with a php include on the navigation section rather easily.

I hate to say this to anyone but you need to relearn html and css from the ground up, it's half a wonder your page is even up with the way your source looks. Go to http://www.w3schools.com and go through the entire html/css tutorial list and PRACTICE. Take the certification quizzes as tests but don't but the certificate.

WARNING: <Brutal Explanation>
Why relearn from the ground up? Let's rip apart your code here:

<html><head><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="CSS/CSS.css"></head> 
<center><table border="0"><tr><td bgcolor="#0000FF"><center><h3 class="wel">WELCOME</h3></center> 
<center><body><h5 class="site">Dragonkwest.net</h5></center> 
<center><div id="Menu1"><ul> 
<li><a href="forums/" class="button">Forum</a></li> 
<li><a href="Games/games.htm" class="button">Games</a></li> 
<li><a href="Guides/" class="button">Guides</a></li> 
<li><a href="Pictures/picture=1.htm" class="button">Pictures</a></li> 
</ul></div></center></td></tr></table></center></html> 
<center><div class="content"><h2 class="news">News - Febuary 8, 2010</h2></center> 
<center class="textnews">	Today I have finished my website. My website has many features including 
but not limited too: games, a forum, and guides on games. We will start out very small and as months pass
get bigger, we hope to eventually get 30 or 40 posts a day on the forums so feel free to post on the forums the more
activity the better. And check back often for annoucements on new content which will be both here
and posted on the forums. We only have a game or 2 right now but keep in mind we will have more it just takes
a while to make each one.</center> 
</body><body bgcolor="#1E90FF"></body><title>Dragon Kwest - Home
</title></body></html></div> 
<!--CSS--> 
<style type="text/css"></style> 
<!--End of CSS-->

Tables or divs, pick ONE. I'll give you a hint though, anyone that comes to me asking if a design is good that uses tables is normally laughed off quickly. DO NOT use tables in your design for anything other than tabular data as was intended.

Center tags are not to be used, specify alignment in the css. Center align is a bad idea regardless due to its shape and uneven flow. Personally I believe justify or left are much more effective.

ONE body tag, only one.

Title needs to be in the head element at the top of the page.

</html> is the END of an html document, not part way up.

Why do you have an empty internal stylesheet?

Why make a div for the menu instead of putting the class on the <ul>?

Why are you using <h5 for a header that should be h1 based on relevance?

Why are you using center tags like <p> tags?

and...

BRUTALITYWHERE did you learn your code to make such a Frankenstein mess of completely everything, disregarding the teachings of anyone sane who might have taught you web design?BRUTALITY

</Brutal Explanation>

Don't say I didn't warn you on that but sometimes you need to hear it straight up instead of a few cutee "good job!"'s based solely on your age. You improve through critique and criticism. I would have loved for someone to have told me what a mess I was making early on in web design but it was always "You're so talented!" or some other such nonsense as that.

Teach yourself and teach yourself well, we're here to help.

Practice does not make perfect. PERFECT practice makes perfect.

Good luck on your future attempts.

When you become more confident with your code try to create your site again and see what happens.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:40 AM

Glorfindal,

Many people would look at the replies here in this thread, especially Lemur's, and just ignore it all as they think that the replies are mean or useless. That is not the case. You are so very lucky, and smart, that you posted here early on. Because most people go for ages "learning" but do not get told what they need to hear until they try going freelance and everybody hates them!

There is only one thing I would like to correct Lemur on, and that is "Practise makes perfect". This is not the case at all. My motto is "Practise makes better" because there is no such thing as perfect, you can always improve yourself!

In terms of books I would recommend reading the books from Sitepoint and The Lost Manual. They are invaluable, even to the most profesional of us (I am no profesional, but I have done many good paid jobs).

If you take the advice on this thread, you are going to improve yourself by precentages you did not even know were possible!!

By the way, you age should not count. I started website development when I was about 9 or 10, do not think I was good though... if anything my first website was worse than yours (besides, it used tables... it had to be terrible!).

Good luck,
Shane
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:07 AM

I give it a C- for the simple ugly design.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (cons :dic :head)

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:40 AM

View PostLemur, on 13 February 2010 - 12:51 AM, said:

@Programble - NO. NEVER use black and white only, it should be a sin in most cases. Black in heavy amounts (or white) at their absolute highest values are shown to create strain. Instead, use a dark charcoal(#121212) or off white/light grey (#efefef). This improves readability, length of stay, and can help accent headers that may be closer to absolute colors.

I didn't necessarily mean pure black on pure white. And even that would be better than yellow on blue.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:44 AM

@programble - Granted

@Shane - I said Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect Practice makes perfect.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:16 AM

View PostLemur, on 13 February 2010 - 03:44 PM, said:

@programble - Granted

@Shane - I said Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect Practice makes perfect.

Oops misread you, sorry! Though it is still true, no such thing as perfect!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +