Game programming with Visual C++, MFC and TCP, UDP and Socket API

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 4698 Views - Last Post: 13 February 2010 - 09:16 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:19 PM

Hello everyone,

I have to do programming to make a small, straightforward game operating over a LAN network. I think I should use Visual C++ and MFC libraries from Microsoft, because it's easy to learn and use. Dealing with some network programming concepts such as TCP, UDP and some Socket API is also essential.

I have no background in gaming and network programming. So, I face some difficulties.

Can you please give me some simple sample games source codes such as hangman, bingo, puzzle etc., with or without networking, for me to get familiar with.
I appreciate projects built with MS Visual C++ 2005/2008. But any advices are invaluable!

Thank you for any help.

Tanya

This post has been edited by Core: 13 February 2010 - 07:11 AM
Reason for edit:: Removed email

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Game programming with Visual C++, MFC and TCP, UDP and Socket API

• The programming dinosaur
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game programming with Visual C++, MFC and TCP, UDP and Socket API

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:43 PM

Hi tanya, could you do me a favour and edit out your email address! Take a look at the C++ and/or Game programming tutorials. This will give you some information.

Hope that helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Born again Pastafarian.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:59 AM

In my opinion, their is no such thing as a totally straight forward game that uses networking. If your not familer with any graphics libraries, you might want to startr with LazyFoo's tuts, here. They are for SDL.

A bit more advanced is openGL, this is very much reccomended as it has just about everything you would want in a graphics library. Here are nehe's tutorials.

As for networking, maybe WinSock would be a good way to go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:16 AM

View PostAphex19, on 13 February 2010 - 07:59 AM, said:

In my opinion, their is no such thing as a totally straight forward game that uses networking. If your not familer with any graphics libraries, you might want to startr with LazyFoo's tuts, here. They are for SDL.

A bit more advanced is openGL, this is very much reccomended as it has just about everything you would want in a graphics library. Here are nehe's tutorials.

As for networking, maybe WinSock would be a good way to go.

If you use SDL you can use SDL_net for networking. SDL really simplifies things, so you'll probably have a much easier time using it than MFC.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1