User create own subdomain

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 1850 Views - Last Post: 11 April 2006 - 04:20 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Blogs style sub domains

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:16 AM

Hi everybody,

For my college project, I want to create a website called www.leapfrog.com where users can create their own photo gallery and have a unique url that points to it.

Example:

Sarah wants to create her own web photo gallery, so she fills out an register form typically like hotmail or blogger form. She is then asked to type a url that she would like the gallery to be associated to.
She types:

www.sarah.leapfrog.com
(Similar to blogger urls)

If the url name is available she is assigned it, else she has to choose another.

Is it possible for users to create their own specfic urls/ subdomain , if so what is the best way to tackle it?

I am thinking very much in line with what www.blogger.com do

Thanks guys.

Remeber it for a good cause fill me with knowlege. :crazy:

Razza

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Blogs style sub domains

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Blogs style sub domains

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:45 AM

Well, this can be done, but it really depends on what you have access to. If this is your server in which you have access to everything, one method may be used...if this is simply a domain that you have hosted with someone else, that is another matter entirely. If you do own the server, then if it is running as a local server it can be modified programtically, but additional permissions are needed if the server is actually hosting live sites on the net. You also have to consider DNS settings for the new subdomain as well.

Could you elaborate a little on the server situation? In the meantime, you may want to check this out:
http://p2p.wrox.com/...?TOPIC_ID=38470
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Blogs style sub domains

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:20 PM

:) for the info Amadeus all your suggestion and hard is greatly appreciated!!!

At the moment, I would need host my domain on someone’s else’s server, I am looking at using .Net technologies so I guess I would be looking for an IIS Server I would look at setting up my own server but that may be a last resort due to financial constraints.

In your opinion which method should I go with?

Thanks for the link- I will certainly study that in great detail. If you have any more suggestions with regards to article or even any books I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks once again
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1