9 Replies - 707 Views - Last Post: 17 February 2010 - 07:47 AM Rate Topic: ****- 3 Votes

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

When to start game development

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

So far i'v been using Java to learn the basic to intermediate concepts. I want to learn 2d game development and im going to
use DarkGDK with c++, i havn't found xna appealing to my interust. I'v learned variables, classes, objects, parameters/arguments, functions, methods. I have yet to learn pointers, inheritence, encapsulation and so forth. Im really looking for someone to tell me what i should have good understanding of based on the concepts above, woundering when i should move out of the Java world and into the C++ environment. Please provide a personalized group of concepts i should study and tell me the road you took to game development?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: When to start game development

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: When to start game development

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

It is possible to do game development in Java too! In fact, I would consider it easier. Sure, C++ has more raw power in the area, but Java is suited just fine to simple games you will be starting off with anyway.

Check out Dogstopper's blog. He has some tutorials on beginning game development with Java :)

Here's the link http://www.dreaminco...=blog&mid=97990
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for referring me! :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:06 PM

Yeah java can do games. I'm curious though as to why you are learning Java in the first place if you want to learn C++?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:10 PM

View PostYasuoDancez, on 16 February 2010 - 10:06 PM, said:

Yeah java can do games. I'm curious though as to why you are learning Java in the first place if you want to learn C++?

The original poster was asking whether Java was a good game dev choice, which it is...and is quickly rising to join the ranks of many other games now in other languages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:18 PM

^ Actually it doesn't sound like he was asking if it was a good choice by the contents of his post.
The topic is 'When To Start Game Development' and his post sounds like it is more referencing towards c++ and gaming rather than Java. One hint being using "Pointer" yet Java uses references.

It is great to hear that Java is quickly gaining ranks in the gaming area.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:16 PM

Yes, im woundering more along the lines of which concepts i should understand before commiting myself into game programming.
If someone could give me a list of concepts that would be excellent ?. Scratch the other other languages im sticking with Java atm, it's whats tought at my school anyhow. DogStopper you have great tutorials !

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:21 AM

Actually you can learn game dev at anytime, starting with small programs. In my college, we started learning how to make a text based adventure game, So by studying and learning what you/we have learned so far with those concepts is a good/great start and would be the right steps for starting out.

You have not learned encapsulation yet? Maybe you have , yet do not realize it. Encapsulation is part of making methods and Instance Variables private, but it is also about separating your apps behavior and properties (Instance variables) into logical parts (other Classes) for flexibility.

When you move away from learning the basics of Java, check out a book from O'Reillys Head First series named Object Oriented Analysis & Design.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:05 AM

I have to say that I agree here. Learn the basics, such as the structure of a game. Such as classes like Game, Person, AdvancedPerson, and so on and learn how you can make all of these classes relate with each other. If this means making it a command line game, then so be it.

However, the real fun gets when you are able to make all that graphical, which requires a slightly different structure and knowledge of the Swing API.

View PostJava Student, on 17 February 2010 - 12:16 AM, said:

DogStopper you have great tutorials !

well, gee, thanks! :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:47 AM

Yeah, I guess i have learnt encapsulation. I'v just been studying the basics for so long I was woundering if I was on the right track.
Yes the methods like " update " and "init" threw me off at first. I think i'll learn Java's swing API like DogStopper said.
Haha, DogStopper's profile pic looks very similar to myself.

This post has been edited by Java Student: 17 February 2010 - 10:28 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1