need to know what kind of raise to ask for

Page 1 of 1

12 Replies - 1706 Views - Last Post: 20 February 2010 - 01:06 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

What's my title

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:01 PM

I will look at salary.com, but I don't really know my title. I was hired in as a web developer, which I am using technologies I never have before. Ramp up is as expected I guess. But here is what I really do:

I am scrum master of a team of 3 (includes me ha - we are a small dev team)
The other two devs are off-site, so I am the communicator/liaison for the guys off site and people in my office
I constantly report whats going on with our team to our boss
I make design decisions and suggestions
I write a crap load of scripts to get data in our systems - this usually comes offline from people in the office
I fix bugs
Occasionally I get to add something new into the system

When I got here there was really no system in place on getting work done. I have implemented scrum and it has made work flow noticeably faster.
I was hired in as a "Web Developer" but I really only spend half of my day if that writing any code. I manage all this stuff. I got people coming at me from all ends. I want to ask for a raise based off of my real title, which is "Web Developer - and much more"? I can't search what my salary should be if I don't know my title.

This post has been edited by supersssweety: 17 February 2010 - 10:15 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: What's my title

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What's my title

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:24 PM

Sounds like a Team Lead/Lead Developer position to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:15 PM

hrm, ok, thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:05 AM

If you do not have the intelligence or the experience in the IT field to figure out what you are; what makes you think you are worthy and deserve a raise?

How much of a raise do you want, and why? IMO, You are worth what you do, and your unprofessional way of getting an answer for this question(which I believe you should already know) tells me you don't deserve a raise.

Your salary and or raise all depends on how much the company thinks your worth to them. If they don't want to bother with such a petty demand they might think about how easy it is to replace you. Also, the salary and your raise depends on what language(s) you know well, and how often you use them in the company.

What benefits have you brought to the company since you've joined? Give them a damn good reason to keep you.

May I ask a question? How long have you been doing this new job, which you don't know your official title and salary?

This post has been edited by coden4fun: 18 February 2010 - 04:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:44 PM

coden4fun, just when I start to think you may have redeemed yourself, even the slightest bit, you post crap like that and send my opinion of you plummeting yet again.

She said she was hired as a web developer. She's trying to determine - with the help of others in the field (ie, US) - what title she should have based on what she actually does and as such gauge the type of pay increase she should aim for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:49 PM

I agree with JackOfAllTrades, Team Lead/Lead Developer is appropriate title.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "ADDICTED"[2:5]
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:21 AM

If you're going to ask for a raise at a company you have established yourself at, you should probably raise off a percentage instead of trying to find out what comparable pay these days is for your position. What if you never made comparable pay? You end up asking for a 12% increase? They'll slay you.

Think in terms of:
3% = expected work but always on time.
5% = above and beyond most of the time.
7% = hot shot on campus (I think this is your target)

Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:35 AM

I wouldn't say that's a hard and fast rule. I actually received an 80% raise once. Accepted a new position and the company I was with wanted me to stay so badly they matched my new salary + some.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:35 AM

View PostMentalFloss, on 19 February 2010 - 01:21 AM, said:

They'll slay you.

I LOL'd. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:04 AM

Manager. If you have to either guide other people or make the decisions that influence other people, you're managing something.

You are a Project Manager if you implement a solution beginning to end, including the people, and deal with all the little details.

You are Lead Developer if you have the final say design decisions. This includes assigning work, write specs, etc.

Reporting to your boss is expected. If you are the single point of communication for a given project's status to your boss, you're managing that project.

Scripting, maintenance, and generally making sure everything works together is usually the job of the System Administrator. It can be the less glamorous job of any dev with a clue, however.

I always recommend "Manager" in a title. You may just be managing systems, but the Suits usually have no clue what you do and "manager" conveys a certain status they do understand.

This post has been edited by baavgai: 19 February 2010 - 05:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:28 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 18 February 2010 - 05:44 PM, said:

coden4fun, just when I start to think you may have redeemed yourself, even the slightest bit, you post crap like that and send my opinion of you plummeting yet again.

Oh No! What ever will I do? BenignDesign has an opinion of me that is plummeting.
Was This Post Helpful? -4
  • +
  • -

• "ADDICTED"[2:5]
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:43 AM

View Postskyhawk133, on 18 February 2010 - 11:35 PM, said:

I wouldn't say that's a hard and fast rule. I actually received an 80% raise once. Accepted a new position and the company I was with wanted me to stay so badly they matched my new salary + some.

Well, I would consider this to be a slightly different scenario than what the poster is referring to. With yours, you had another job in line that you could use as leverage. This poster probably has nothing like that. If they reject the raise, and s/he's left standing there, it will look much better to everyone involved in that decision if s/he only asked for something like 7% increase. Anything else in this situation is probably going to make you look like an asshole.

This percentage I'm talking about is based on yearly salary by the way. If you're making an hourly wage, obviously 7% increase is peanuts...

EDIT:

This percentage I'm talking about is based on yearly salary by the way. If you're making an hourly wage, obviously 7% increase is peanuts...

After actually thinking about this a second, I realized it's too early in the day for me to be making comments like this LOL. Sorry.

This post has been edited by MentalFloss: 19 February 2010 - 09:49 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:06 PM

Mentailfloss, I was going to mention that supersweety should look to see what other companies are paying for that position and try to line up another job opportunity, then ask for a raise. supersweety can use the new job offer as leverage if that doesn't work then supersweety can leave and take the new job.

What WE need to do is Translate all of the things that supersweetys does from what he/she actually does to Secretary Jar-gin.

I am scrum master of a team of 3
(includes me ha - we are a small
dev team) = Manager

The other two devs are off-site,= Regional

so I am the communicator/liaison
for the guys off site and people
in my office = Team Manager

I constantly report whats going
on with our team to our boss = Coordinator

I make design decisions and suggestions = Director
I write a crap load of scripts to get
data in our systems - this usually
comes offline from people in the office = database programmer

I fix bugs = programmer

Occasionally I get to add something new into the system = ?

your title = Regional Team Manager Director/Coordinator of Scrum Database

I dropped the programmer part since it sounds like you don't do that, that much.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1