5 Replies - 2486 Views - Last Post: 19 February 2010 - 02:00 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Winform bubble up

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:40 AM

Hello,
I'm new at this. I remember seeing something that causes the focus (improper terminology) of a desktop application to rise above all other apps. I dont remember what it was called. I'm making a chat app and want it to rise to the top when a message is received. This way if it's running in the background or minimized it will pop-up and you don't leave someone in the cold. I want to say Z-index, but thats for elements in HTML. This would be the same thing that happens when you are downloading something and then start doing something else and when the download is complete the dialog box pops up above everything else...I hope I'm explaining this properly.

Can anyone decipher what I'm trying to explain and point me in the right direction?

Cheers.
JS

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Winform bubble up

• "ADDICTED"[2:5]
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Winform bubble up

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:40 AM

Let's address the actual concept of what you're trying to do.

So, you have a chat application and when a message is received in a minimized window or when behind windows, you want to bring it to front so the user can deal with it?

Do you happen to have any idea just how annoying to users that would be? Imagine you're banging away at some document and idling in the chat room. Every 3 seconds, the chat window comes to the front and you end up sending all characters to the chat window instead.

Seriously - this is a bad idea. Your better option may be to cause the minimized window to blink in the task bar. You may alternately want to use a notify bubble.
http://www.codeproje...ifyballoon.aspx

If you still really want to do this, I'll answer you differently. For now, rethink this idea please. Your users will thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:43 AM

EDIT: after reading Mentalfloss' reply I decided to wait for the reply to his questions

This post has been edited by Ferencn: 18 February 2010 - 10:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

I did think this out and the problem is:

A. I don't have speakers. Even when I did, I turned them off because people put annoying midi file on there websites and I really don't care to hear "devil came down to georgia" while stumbling around with web searches. SO without speakers, I won't here slamming doors and "yoohoos".

B. It currently operate with a flashing icon at the nav bar footer, but I rarely see it as that is on my primary monitor and most of my textual editing apps are on my secondary monitor.

C. Even when I have both monitors covered with apps, other programs pop up when they need attention (spyware, skype, etc) and I do not lose my place or files or anything as I do have the ability to look at the screen while typing.

D. The amount of chat I will get is 2 - 3 conversations a day lasting about 5 minutes a piece. So the system will be in ideal 23+ hours a day.

E. If I am fortunate or unfortunate to get continuous chat then I wont be able to do other activities anyhow and will probably need to pay someone to man the support chat.

F. If your scenerio truely is a problem I can add an option to turn the "rise to surface" feature on/off depending on your preference but since this chat program is for a support / sales purpose it would behoove the user to be interrupted;

G. If other activities are more important, simply shut the program down (thereby indicating they are offline to the online user).

H. Maybe the chat room popping up is my idea of WOW.

I could go on all day with reasons why I want this to rise to the front. But I don't really have time to explain, nor do I wish to be party to your extortion tactics. Maybe your having a bad day, but that does not give you the right to impose your will upon me. I came here looking for a supportive answer. Not attitude.

I'll use Application.OpenForms["Form1"].Activate(); and be on my way.

PS...someone remind me why I even bother posting to these sites.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "ADDICTED"[2:5]
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:22 PM

Dude... big mistake.

First, I was making a suggestion that your users would appreciate under the pretenses of MY limited knowledge of your problem. I blame this on YOU not posting your requirements accurately.

Second:

I could go on all day with reasons why I want this to rise to the front. But I don't really have time to explain, nor do I wish to be party to your extortion tactics. Maybe your having a bad day, but that does not give you the right to impose your will upon me. I came here looking for a supportive answer. Not attitude.

Extortion tactics? Give me a break. I was simply attempting to help you out with a stupid decision you're about to make - and make no mistake, it is a stupid solution. I'm having a decent day by the way. When you make mention of "supportive answer", you have to consider the fact that if someone said hey, I'm trying to shoot myself in the foot with this gun. How do I load it? - Well, I'm gonna say that you probably shouldn't do that.

Can anyone decipher what I'm trying to explain and point me in the right direction?

See? You have absolutely no idea what you're doing. It's not my fault.

Not attitude.

You get it now.

PS...someone remind me why I even bother posting to these sites.

Based on the defensiveness of your reply to me, I don't care if you keep posting here or not. So, there are no reasons.

Bye.

EDIT: Given PG-13 rating.

This post has been edited by MentalFloss: 20 February 2010 - 01:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:00 AM

Could use something like forminstance.TopMost = true;
Was This Post Helpful? 0