3 Replies - 449 Views - Last Post: 18 February 2010 - 05:36 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need some questions answered for a investigative report!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:12 PM

Hello Everyone, I am currently seeking some insight on how the fields related to Computer Science actually work. From the point of view, of professionals with multiple years of experience(ie software engineers ..). All responses to the questions below will be appreciated.
-Thank you

What are the writing conventions of this profession?

How much and what kinds of writing are done?

What type of writing process is used in this profession? Are writing projects individual or collaborative?

What writing format(s) is used in this profession?

What makes someone an authority in this profession?

What kinds of things are important for communicating in this profession (for example, particular features that you uncovered
in your document analysis or that your subject mentioned)?

What steps/actions are needed to be successful in the field?

How do you keep up with the new technologies and the jargon created by them?

Telecommuting, what are some advantages/disadvantages?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need some questions answered for a investigative report!

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need some questions answered for a investigative report!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:59 PM

By writing conventions do you mean coding conventions or some form of more formal writing? Could you be a little more specific?

For now, I'll assume you mean coding conventions unless you tell me otherwise. Also, just a note, I'm a student not a professional, but I can still answer many of these questions accurately.

View Postsacstate2600, on 18 February 2010 - 03:12 PM, said:

What are the writing conventions of this profession?

Coding conventions depend on the organization one is working for. Generally, each organization has its own coding and commenting conventions so that it is easy for others in the organization to easily follow the code.

How much and what kinds of writing are done?

For non-coding writing, it depends on the organization and the position. If you are a regular developer (not the lead developer), you're writing will most likely be restricted to commenting your code. However, the lead developer will have to write more progress reports, possibly a user manual (though this will be more of a joint effort between QA and the Dev team).
[/quote]

What type of writing process is used in this profession? Are writing projects individual or collaborative?

Coding projects are generally collaborative. They are so massive that one person can't handle them in a timely manner.

What writing format(s) is used in this profession?

Again, dependent on the organization.

What makes someone an authority in this profession?

Innovation. If you are at the head of innovation (ie., lead developer at Intel, Tom Kyte of Oracle, etc.), then you are generally considered an authority on what you're innovating, though not always.

What kinds of things are important for communicating in this profession (for example, particular features that you uncovered in your document analysis or that your subject mentioned)?

Communication in this industry can be summed up in three steps: Clear, step-by-step, idiot friendly.

What steps/actions are needed to be successful in the field?

I can't really define steps/actions, but you have to have a strong handle on algorithmic development and be willing to learn new technologies.

How do you keep up with the new technologies and the jargon created by them?

Through Dream.in.Code, as helping others is a great way to hone your skills. Just ask pbl; he joined DIC to keep up with his Java skills.

Telecommuting, what are some advantages/disadvantages?

Advantages: Communicating with people halfway around the world easily.
Disadvantages: You can't be there physically to guide people through procedures step-by-step. Time differences can also be a factor if you are communicating with someone in say China or Russia.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:03 PM

Thank you for the reply.
The writing conventions are geared more toward the language used to communicate with co-workers and documentation(ie commenting code, Software requirements, Outlines of projects, proposals...). Is the communication formal, informal, written in essay form or some other style of writing, such as, MLA or Chicago format?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:36 PM

I believe that each company has their own standards, which is really just technical, professional writing designed to get the point across and provide clear documentation for future reference.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1