• (3 Pages)
  • +

44 Replies - 4114 Views - Last Post: 03 March 2010 - 03:24 PM

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Layout Change Tonight

Post icon  Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:49 PM

As I'm sure you've noticed, we've moved things around a little bit. I already explained this a bit in an earlier thread today, but wanted to make an official post explaining why we did this.

Throughout 2010, we plan on rolling out new features, functionality, and a new design. But, instead of just working on a new design for the next 6 months then suddenly springing it upon everyone and completely confusing you and possibly ruining how you interact with the site, we want to gradually change the design/layout, and add functionality so we can make sure it's good for everyone.

The first thing we want to do is change some things in the right column, and in order to do that we need about 300 pixels to include the larger fonts, widgets, dynamic content (new posts, new blogs, new tutorials, your friends, links to your favorite/most-active-in forums, etc.) The old layout was 3 columns and had 2 side columns that were 160 pixels wide and required we make the fonts quite small, and limit the amount of information we could provide. This made things cluttered, difficult to navigate at times, and really not quite useful as it's all static content that rarely changes.

So combining the left and right column in to 1 larger column leaves all the same links you are used to for now, but let's us begin rolling out new functionality and designs in that area that should make the site far more usable and clean.

We will eventually put the forums in drop down menus in the top navigation, and consolidate the more popular forums in to a smaller box that spans the 300px column and eliminates a lot of the scrolling and wasted space the left column generated.

The other thing having all the extra links/information in the right column does is focus on the actual content people are looking for... answers to their questions. Personally, I think having all the links on the right really makes the forums look cleaner and easier to read as there is no clutter on the left side.

So that's why the layout suddenly changed tonight. We hope you can adjust to the new look and understand it's part of a bigger picture that will slowly come together over 2010.

Thanks for your understanding and patience!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Layout Change Tonight

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Layout Change Tonight

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:00 PM

Looks good. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:02 PM

I like it. :pirate:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:02 PM

At first I was frightened. But then I was ok. True story.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:13 PM

Yeh, it's kind of amazing how almost trained your mind is to having your mouse automatically go to a certain spot on a page or after using something for so long your mind wants to violently fight looking in a different place after thousands and thousands of times looking at the same thing.

I've hit about 50 pages since we moved it and my mind is already kind of getting used to it. Still feels weird to me. I played with it on dev today for about 30 minutes and got used to it, then bounced back to the live site all afternoon.

SOMEBODY HOLD ME :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• THE PEN IS MIGHTIER
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:42 PM

:tup: Looking good. Looking real good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:53 PM

That threw me for a curve at first. I was expecting to just check my standard forums for a quick reply or two before bed, but the links weren't there... I had to look all the way at the other side of the page T_T

It actually doesn't look bad, just confused me at first.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• What did you call me?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:13 AM

In the words o Stewie Griffin "I DON'T LIKE CHANGE."

I thought the page didn't load right so I refreshed a couple of times. It startled me at first but now I can see why there might be need for change.

I kinda like the old way better but that may be because I have to go all the way to the other side of the screen to click on a link.

I'm sure I will get use to it. I can't wait to see how the drop down menus on the top feel.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:41 AM

I thought it was chrome messing up, i didnt even see the left column till about an hour later :P

.. time to start writing a greasemonkey script to move it back :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:15 AM

View PostKYA, on 23 February 2010 - 12:02 AM, said:

At first I was frightened.

I still am. Hate to be the lone person hating on it here, but honestly my first thoughts were along the lines of "No..he didn't.. please don't let this be perminent..".

I understand the need to move things around to make room for future changes, but layouts that push the whole board clear to the left have always been something that I've hated. Even a small indent is fine, but otherwise it just really bothers me for some reason. Sight through my left eye isn't quite as good as it should be compared to the other side so idk, maybe thats why it feels so inconvienient.

Anyway, I like the pannle that was moved being on that side (just not two of them there pushing the whole board over), feels a lot easier to use. Reading the forums & posts it links to, however, is a pain.

This post has been edited by .Aaron: 23 February 2010 - 01:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:08 AM

I like the new approach to the site... did take me a little while to stop going to the left to click the forums :)

I have a suggestion though seeing as your in the site changing mode...

Is there anyway of making the code snippet box any bigger than what is currently is? So it's like 90% width of the forum window? Just thought it might make it easier to read?

Keep up the good work!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:39 AM

I too share that dream, where the code section of a post are the full width of the post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:53 AM

Yeah makes it much easier to read... It does get slightly annoying having to scroll the code window to view the end of lines etc :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:12 AM

View Postbatesy3k, on 23 February 2010 - 10:53 AM, said:

Yeah makes it much easier to read... It does get slightly annoying having to scroll the code window to view the end of lines etc :(

It was there in the first few hours of the new design, and it disappeared in the ensuing CSS panic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:20 AM

I went to the left to click on a link... but it wasnt there... so I went back to the homepage to see if it would fix itself
then I saw this.

I looked right...

THERE IT WAS!!!

I think that it looks ok but I did kind of like it on the left... but I guess its just habbit. oh well. cant wait for more updates!! :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +