• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 7852 Views - Last Post: 28 July 2010 - 12:16 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Is getting certified worth it?

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

I'm interested in getting a Microsoft certification, mainly the MCAD. Is it worth it? I mainly want it because I'm 100% positive I'll learn things along the way and it'll show potential employers that I know my stuff.

I'm also interested in a PHP certification but I have no idea which one is a good one to get.

Any help?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is getting certified worth it?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Is getting certified worth it?

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:25 AM

I'm not sure about the specific certification you are asking about, but generally certs tend to depend on the employer. I know that's a vague answer, but it's what I have figured out. I am an intern for a power company working in the networks group designing network layouts and troubleshooting connection problems. My supervisor LOVES certifications, so I will get a CCNA over the summer (when I am not in school). Overall, it can't hurt... so I would say go for it if you have the time and resources...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:15 PM

Well, I know with my employer they highly valued the certs. I am A+ and Net+ certified and I walked in with an associates degree in Networking. My employer, due to their ignorance actually offers more money for the certs than for the degree despite the fact that the degree is far more in depth.

So 1. It depends on your employer 2. It depends on your employer's knowledge level 3. It will at least demonstrate competency in a field and get you through the door.

So yes get it. Now, are there any certs for programming out there?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:29 PM

Thank you for the answers. I'm still curious about a PHP certification.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:42 PM

The Zend certification for PHP is by far the most recognized and accepted.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:48 PM

We had a discussion on the MCAD in another thread not to long ago. The MCAD is for developing web services and desktop applications in .NET 1.0 and 1.1, why would you want to get a certification in something that old? MS already has upgrade paths for the MCAD, the MCTS.

As more companies make the transition into using .NET technologies chances are they aren't going go back to 1.1, they're going to want the latest to keep up with technology, competitiors and what their customers want. .NET 4.0 is being released here another month or so. Look in the MCTS, the link below is the upgrade path MCAD to MCTS but its possible to earn your MCTS without getting an MCAD first. Best of luck to you
http://www.microsoft.../mcad.aspx#tab3

Edited because my spelling sucks.

This post has been edited by Sethro117: 25 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

View PostSethro117, on 25 February 2010 - 01:48 PM, said:

We had a discussion on the MCAD in another thread not to long ago. The MCAD is for developing web services and desktop applications in .NET 1.0 and 1.1, why would you want to get a certification in something that old? MS already has upgrade paths for the MCAD, the MCTS.

As more companies make the transition into using .NET technologies chances are they aren't going go back to 1.1, they're going to want the latest to keep up with technology, competitiors and what their customers want. .NET 4.0 is being released here another month or so. Look in the MCTS, the link below is the upgrade path MCAD to MCTS but its possible to earn your MCTS without getting an MCAD first. Best of luck to you

I thought that myself when I read about MCAD.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:32 AM

One other thing I've noticed is that certifications matter more if you have less actual work experience and they matter less if you have more actual experience.

So, if you're a young beginning dev, then yes, the appropriate certification(s) can't hurt.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:59 PM

View PostSethro117, on 25 February 2010 - 01:48 PM, said:

This is exactly the type of information I wanted. Thank you very much Seth. I'll definitely look into those.

Do you know if it's possible to pass classes online, and then take the test online?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:22 PM

I dont know about taking the test online. The MCTS website says its a Proctored Exam which means there is someone who supervises it. So my guess is you have to go into a Microsoft Testing Center. They do have E-Learning though which can help you study for the exam, and of course books. But taking the test online probably isn't doable.

Here is the link to the MCTS page - http://www.microsoft...ation/mcts.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

I have been researching the idea of getting certified myself for about a month now. I have heard over and over that it is just a waste of time because being certified doesn't necessarily mean that you can produce anything worth while, that experience is what matters. I think that this argument holds true, however, I have also heard another point that to me is worth getting a certification for. The argument is having a certification looks good on your resume and will definitely increase the chances of getting a call for an interview when looking for employment. Often employers will search through resume hosting sites using keywords for potential candidates. If your resume pops up and shows that you are certified in the technology that is used in the opening they have, your chances of getting a call are much greater than if you did not have the cert (and say somebody else did...).

Also, if you plan on doing any independent consulting, having a certification will look good to your potential clients. I currently work for an environmental consulting and engineering firm and they put a very high value on certifications. It definitely sounds good to potential clients when the company can say that their staff is certified in what ever technology is being used for providing their services.

Also, on another note. A buddy of mine from college really inspired me to get certified after he told me about a new software job he recently landed. After he graduated he got hired by a company w/o any prior software experience. The company didn't pay him much (really low balled him), but provided him with the training and funding for his Microsoft Certification in Dynamics AX (X++). He worked there for two years and they never gave him a raise due to the "recession". After about two years, he put his resume out there and in a matter of a few weeks, he landed a new gig with a 30K/year salary increase. He told me that his interviews weren't very much more than "You have your Microsoft Certification? You're good..."

Just a little food for thought.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:43 PM

My high school teacher gave me Cisco CCNA training cd's I am studying it right now
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:35 AM

Whats the pricing like? If I recall they cost a lot, but I can't recall what MS qualification this was so I may be wrong.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:27 AM

Certificates use to be the way of the industry. Although certification can help you land a job, it is no longer the standard. Most jobs look for experience and a degree nowadays... certs were huge in the 90's. I wouldn't waste too much time/money going after them.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:57 PM

View Poststapia.gutierrez, on 24 February 2010 - 01:48 AM, said:

I mainly want it because I'm 100% positive I'll learn things along the way and it'll show potential employers that I know my stuff.

Any help?

If you have the passion I don't think you need some morale booster like certification to learn the things. Certification will not help. They are just an edge over other technologies. Say .NET over Java in your case.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +