2 Replies - 2595 Views - Last Post: 23 February 2010 - 11:39 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where in the world is an IC?

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:12 PM

Hi,
I tried to find a place for this topic and this sounded like the closest thing. Anyway, I was wanting to make a few simple system boards to help me learn better about actual computer hardware and hit a roadblock. There are no places that actually sell only the integrated circut and embedded microprocessor packages anymore. Am I just wrong? Where could I find things like these. I am interested in the up to date parts, not the "recycled" crap that some companies are peddling. Where should I turn?
Mr. O

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where in the world is an IC?

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where in the world is an IC?

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:17 PM

Mouser Electronics

Guess it depends on what you are looking for. I've got about three sites that I check for different chips from.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Where in the world is an IC?

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:39 PM

what? are you saying that you want to buy a BLANK mother board (just the circuit) and you want to populate (install the IC's) the board yourself?

If you wanted to build an old 8088 than this would not be a problem.

But newer system boards have whats called BGA's Ball Grid Arrays and FPGA Field Programmable Gate Arrays.

This is a BGA:
[attachment=16679:BGA.jpg]
Here is some more info on what a BGA is:
Ball grid array, Wikipedia

Here is some more info on FPGA's:
Field-programmable gate array

Two problems that you will run into is:
1> Installing the BGA's, They have to be installed with precision equipment.
2> The FPGA's have to be programed with something, Manufacturers usually never release the Vision Systems Design files to do this. and most often the FPGA chips have safeguards to keep people from extracting whats on the FPGA.

I think that you will have trouble finding a blank mother board that you can populate. You might be better off designing your own. -maybe- If you want to design your own I would recommend using a program called Pads: PADS PCB Design Solutions Its expensive but it gets the job done. You might be able to find something similar for cheaper.

Don't forget, Some mother boards can have as many as 100 layers. So that can be a problem to work with too.

You can always skip building it yourself and just buy an Embedded Microprocessor Package:
Sensoray Embedded electronics[attachment=16680:301-6_w_chip_500pixels_.jpg]

This post has been edited by calvinthedestroyer: 23 February 2010 - 11:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1