• (3 Pages)
  • +

40 Replies - 6097 Views - Last Post: 01 March 2010 - 05:53 PM

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Reputation Rules

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:26 AM

Thaegd may actually be a good example of the reputation system working. He had already had several "warnings" from moderators in the past for various rule violations and I had heard from SEVERAL members through PM and other reports that his behavior was inappropriate and he generally trolled the forums. So given the opportunity, I think a lot of people took out their frustrations with him using the negative reputation. While I'd prefer this didn't happen, I think it's probably an example of the reputation system working to show someone who had repeatedly insulted, trolled, and picked fights that his actions aren't well received here.

Speaking of which, he's currently finishing up a 7 day ban for his continued personal attacks and trolling.

Just sayin....

As a note however, there were 4-5 people who gave 10+ down votes in a single day to him, and the new limits will prevent that, so we'll see how that goes in the future.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:37 AM

Fair enough...can't really argue with that, lol. I hadn't really seen any of his insults or trolling or whatever (or if I had, I hadn't paid any attention), so the way he was ripped into in that 2012 thread did seem a bit excessive.

Still, if he earned it, then he earned it...own dumb fault :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• This space intentionally left blank
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:40 AM

So I can keep my sig then?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:41 AM

Yep!

We just don't want people begging for reputation in their posts. You're welcome to have a little mention in your signature to make people aware of the reputation system.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• What did you call me?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:25 PM

The 2012 was pretty sad. I kinda felt sorry for theaegd since everyone hated him.
He should have known better than to mess with sloth though.

You get what you give.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:53 PM

Sounds like a good idea! I like the idea of a reputation system, and that now it's monitored.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:55 PM

I think if a down vote is given the individual should have to give a reason for it. That could help keep the complaints down because the helper might understand why they got a down vote. Also it can help the moderators validate the reason for a member's down vote.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:57 AM

With the limits skyhawk133 has imposed, you - as a regular member - will get 3 down votes per day. It won't take the mods long to say "Oh, look, this seeP+ douche is using all his downvotes on supersloth EVERY SINGLE DAY. Let's move him to the group with no voting privileges and corks on their pencils." The mods are a smart bunch, even no2pencil.

Extreme abuse of privilege case, reason for downvote: Being a douche.
General use of privilege case, reason for downvote: I didn't like what you said.

Put on your big girl panties and accept the fact that not EVERYONE is going to like what you say, no matter how good you thought the post was. I don't want to know WHY anyone has downvoted me (though I can usually wager an educated guess)... that's just leaving the system open to additional abuse by users.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:29 AM

View Postskyhawk133, on 24 February 2010 - 11:29 PM, said:

[*]DO NOT give NEGATIVE reputation just because you disagree with someones opinion in "Heated Topics" or the "Caffeine Lounge"

Have fun enforcing this one, especially since an "incorrect or mean" post can be interchangeable with "disagree with opinion" for many people.

I think you should just check for vote spam, really. It makes it easier to enforce.

If one person downvotes someone for an opinion, it doesn't really matter because there are other members who will patch up the single -1 vote if the original downvote was unjustified, pretty much moderating itself. Same goes for meanginless upvotes.

For example, absynthe posted a picture of herself and I downvoted it because I simply don't like that sort of thing. Someone else patched it up because they felt it wasn't deserved and the post becomes 0. The petty things you mention in the rules sorts itself out because +1 and -1 ratings easily rest back into 0.

If there happened to be a particularly fiery posts and you have 5 members on one side and 5 other members who care enough to vote, the member posting will not lose or gain any reputation.

I think if over 10 members think at once a particular post bad, I think the post would speak for itself and wouldn't require any quantifying rules. This is a democracy, so you only have to prevent spam, bots, and such.

Furthermore, the people I vote up will tend to be the same 3 people and the people I vote down will be the same 3 or 2 people. I don't think it's fair to consider voting a particular member often if it's a member who constantly makes great or terrible posts from your point of view.

Overall, the whole reason I like the reputation system is because it pretty much nearly moderates itself and strict guidelines need not be written, just a line about votebots and sock puppets really.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 26 February 2010 - 09:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pirate King
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:49 PM

: puts on his big girl panties : No amount of Repstappo will intimidate me Sir. Is it ok to ask people to down vote you? As opposed to up vote you? I prefer notoriety to helpfulness.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:50 PM

I think what WolfCoder said makes sense...

This post has been edited by Gorian: 26 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:05 PM

View Postgrimpirate, on 26 February 2010 - 06:49 PM, said:

I prefer notoriety to helpfulness.

That's the spirit!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:55 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 26 February 2010 - 02:57 AM, said:

With the limits skyhawk133 has imposed, you - as a regular member - will get 3 down votes per day. It won't take the mods long to say "Oh, look, this seeP+ douche is using all his downvotes on supersloth EVERY SINGLE DAY. Let's move him to the group with no voting privileges and corks on their pencils." The mods are a smart bunch, even no2pencil.

Extreme abuse of privilege case, reason for downvote: Being a douche.
General use of privilege case, reason for downvote: I didn't like what you said.

Put on your big girl panties and accept the fact that not EVERYONE is going to like what you say, no matter how good you thought the post was. I don't want to know WHY anyone has downvoted me (though I can usually wager an educated guess)... that's just leaving the system open to additional abuse by users.

You don't want to know but I'd like. Also, show me an example of your big girl panties so I can understand where your coming from.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Stomach
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

View PostWolfCoder, on 26 February 2010 - 11:29 PM, said:

View Postskyhawk133, on 24 February 2010 - 11:29 PM, said:

[*]DO NOT give NEGATIVE reputation just because you disagree with someones opinion in "Heated Topics" or the "Caffeine Lounge"

Have fun enforcing this one, especially since an "incorrect or mean" post can be interchangeable with "disagree with opinion" for many people.

I think you should just check for vote spam, really. It makes it easier to enforce.

If one person downvotes someone for an opinion, it doesn't really matter because there are other members who will patch up the single -1 vote if the original downvote was unjustified, pretty much moderating itself. Same goes for meanginless upvotes.

For example, absynthe posted a picture of herself and I downvoted it because I simply don't like that sort of thing. Someone else patched it up because they felt it wasn't deserved and the post becomes 0. The petty things you mention in the rules sorts itself out because +1 and -1 ratings easily rest back into 0.

If there happened to be a particularly fiery posts and you have 5 members on one side and 5 other members who care enough to vote, the member posting will not lose or gain any reputation.

I think if over 10 members think at once a particular post bad, I think the post would speak for itself and wouldn't require any quantifying rules. This is a democracy, so you only have to prevent spam, bots, and such.

Furthermore, the people I vote up will tend to be the same 3 people and the people I vote down will be the same 3 or 2 people. I don't think it's fair to consider voting a particular member often if it's a member who constantly makes great or terrible posts from your point of view.

Overall, the whole reason I like the reputation system is because it pretty much nearly moderates itself and strict guidelines need not be written, just a line about votebots and sock puppets really.

I agree with you wolf.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:53 AM

View PostseeP+, on 26 February 2010 - 09:55 PM, said:

You don't want to know but I'd like. Also, show me an example of your big girl panties so I can understand where your coming from.

The temptation to downvote is strong with this one.

But I only get 5 per day. Must.... control.... urges.....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +