• (2 Pages)
  • +

28 Replies - 11004 Views - Last Post: 22 May 2017 - 05:00 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

2D Rpg

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:40 PM

New Dawn is a 2D rpg/tbs, written in C++/SDL. Set in Ancient Greece and Persia. We've been in development for 7 months and have a reasonable amount of code completed.

We also have our own server from where we operate our project management. we use collabitive. http://collabtive.o-dyn.de/
If you want to check out other news we have a forum too. http://spartanstudio....com/forum.htm. The source is ava at https://newdawn.svn....svnroot/newdawn

if your interrested in helping out or contributing e-mail me at [email protected]
currently in need of:

an artist (2D graphics)
anyone who has knowledge of SDL/C++
a writer.

I will keep you posted on our development. p.s how do I upload an image to my post?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 2D Rpg

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 2D Rpg

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:30 PM

After several months of programming, with a huge learning curve we have made some notable progress with our file-reading system and our basic graphics loader.

The reason for the first system was to enable us to produce stats for units, buildings and other game entities independent of program compilation. Our system now allows us to do this on a basic scale. I can write up to 256 units, 256 sorts of weapons, 256 sorts of armour, etc, independent of the code I write for the application. Although it may not be an all singing, all dancing piece of coding that a professional might end up with, I, and the rest of the team were pleased with the result.

I have also made a fairly large amount of progress in the graphics programming department. I can now load images and perform basic animation with the graphics engine. However even though this seems to work well the code is a little hap-hazard, it is more than likely that the code gets re-structured. (I overlooked the need to link the graphics system to the events system).

I suppose the next few months will involve making slight improvements to both these systems, as well as making a start on the events system and combat simulation. This will be the real test of whether what I have written so far is a plausible solution. Fingers crossed that it does, until next time wish me luck.

So adding an events system wasn't as hard as I thought, It took just under a week to get the basic blocks set up and running. Images can now be loaded to the program via "scripts", with the option of each, performing "actions" based on user input. Buttons also have the option to play sounds when clicked, although there are problems, the first button clicked takes slightly longer than normal to run its code.

Although I wizzed through implementing events, I afterwards spent a considerable length of time trying to determin a way to have certain images turned off when the program starts. I've had no luck so far, just dead ends.

Whilst i'm in "things that have gone wrong mode" I have this wierd problem, whenever I set alpha blending to a specific image it applies this to the whole screen. However even though I havent altered the code for setting alpha blending in about 4 weeks I'm getting unexpected results.

Over the next few weeks i shall be to working on expanding the number of event At the moment there are only two possible actions <setscreen> and <quit> :) However having said this I also think that it is important to add the option of multiple actions. Just thinkg about this gives me headaches.

I guess thats all I can think to tell you at the moment, if your interrested in joinning the program drop me an e-mail as seen in my first post. At the moment it's just me :( I encourage anyone who wants join as this is a good learning experiance. It defintly has been for me, but then again I would say that. It's my project I'm trying to get you into. :) Untill next time!

This post has been edited by xnewix: 14 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

I haven’t been as active in programming lately, having said that I have made some additional “breakthroughs”. But firstly I shall start with the negative stuff.

I did get a few people on board, and e-mails where flowing back and forth, the persons involved where very counterproductive. I was rather disappointed as I spent a lot of time writing step by step guides of how to carry out their set tasks. Three weeks passed and the people involved hadn’t even looked at the code, let alone make an attempt at programming. I kept getting e-mails saying,” I’ll look at it later”, or “I don’t know how to do that”. In the end I did it myself, it took me a whole 10 seconds to complete. I lobbed the code into MS word, found all words with the phrase ‘unit’ in them and replaced with ‘building’.

Having said all this, please don’t let it put you off this project, thinking I’m some kind of evil mad man who will throw you in the deep end, giving you no support. If you’re beginning programming I welcome you to join the team, I’ll do what I can to help you settle in/ get started as long as I see effort and comment from you. Bitch over.

Lately the organization has begun to suffer as I’ve been adding snippets of code here, there, and in the most unexpected places. One of my main focuses of the next couple of month’s weeks will be sort this out. On the same theme, having not spent much time on the project lately I noticed that my most recent frenzy of programming was left uncommented, as a result it took me a while to remember what certain pieces of code did, or how they related to the master plan. What I’m getting at and my advice to other is don’t follow my example and leave any piece of code uncommented. I’m not saying comment everything down to the last integer, but rather comment every block of code and how it relates to the bigger picture.

I now have the very basics of movement implemented into the engine. ‘Unit images’ are now able to interact with “map tiles”. When moving across the screen, an image doesn’t re-calculate which tile it is current in, it just glides to match the X value location of whichever map tile was clicked. I’ve only written code for moving in the X direction so far as, a ) I’m too lazy to change a few values to make Y travel a reality and b ) I don’t know enough about path finding yet.

With regards to images and the rest of the engine; at current the images are just that, images. When saying this I mean the image of a swordsman doesn’t know they’re a swordsman or where they’re in relation to the rest of the map. The same can be said for a map tile, the tile doesn’t know that it forms part of a larger landscape as far as it’s concerned it’s just ‘there’.

I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned this before, but when there are two or more overlapping images if the user clicks or triggers events in this area, all events for all images concerned are activated. I haven’t managed to solve this problem yet. I’m guessing this could be solved using some form of Z-ordering, although I haven’t had much luck in my searches for this. If anyone could point me in the direction of some references, or example code I would be most grateful.

The animation code has made progress too, though the way animation images are loaded has added few problems. Anything that is animated has been mostly hard coded, unlike single images which are all scripted. Hopefully this shouldn’t prove too problematic; adding an option/function for multiple images using the same Surface would solve this. I may even set up an entirely separate class to handle this that way I’m not going to have a load of unrelated functions/variables in the same class.

In addition to what I may have mentioned briefly above my main focuses for the next few weeks/months will be on; path finding, re-commenting code, and tying ‘images’ to game objects.

For those of you who read to the end thank you for showing an interest in this project. Even though this is the end of my post there are rather a lot of things I haven’t mentioned, I’ll save that for another day, hopefully the interval between this post and the next won’t be so great. Until next time.

This post has been edited by xnewix: 20 June 2010 - 09:42 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:19 AM

Are you still looking for any help?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:32 AM

I admire your dedication to this project. Have you made any progress in the actual game? Or are you just working on the engine first?

If you've made some progress in the game, could you post some screen shots?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:53 AM

@ce0swald Yes I am still looking for help.

@Fib I've mostly been working on the engine, though I have drawn up a few designs for combat, but that's about it. I can load a few screens of what it can do atm if you want., even though it may not seem to do much, it's taken a long time to get this far.

If anyone is Interested e-mail me at [email protected] for more details.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

If you want some sprites, I can draw 2D. Here's a sample (P.S I don't know how big you want them):

Copyright Ohaimew: (greek_soldier_small)
Posted Image

I can also do bigger.

This post has been edited by Ohaimew: 27 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:18 PM

Okay. The size of sprite you have posted is what I am looking for. If you could supply a few more like this, that would be great. I must stress however that I am unable to fund or emburse you. I hope this dosn't change anything?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:57 AM

Not atall, sorry I didn't reply. I have been on a 3 day trip to Spain :P. Don't need any money I do it for fun.

PS. Have MSN?
+ Can you give me some ideas of sprites to draw.

This post has been edited by Ohaimew: 30 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:04 AM

Spain, cool. Yes, [email protected]otmail.co.uk I can give you a brief list now.

We would need sprites for;

terrain,
buildings,
units for nations such as greece, persia, eygpt. Anything from swordsmen to chariots, elephant riders to galleys.

I can give you a better list, after i've made one :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

A Quick update,

Everything that I set out to do as per my last post, I’ve failed to do. I've decided I need to do more planning before I can start them tasks properly. Having said that I have managed to tidy up some code a little, I even went as far as to more bits to separate .h files.
I have also added a few extras to the engine, these include SDL text, a rather crude attempt at drop-down lists and button click sound effects.
Plans for the future, sort out graphics code into separate classes (it’s horrible) and plan for game specific icon commands. Not sure how much I’ll get done but until then only time will tell.

If anyone wants look at the code go to https://sourceforge....ojects/newdawn/ or http://newdawn.svn.s...viewvc/newdawn/

This post has been edited by xnewix: 25 August 2010 - 01:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:29 PM

Time flys, its been 5 months since i posted an update. This is more of a I'm still alive that a show case of all the spectaculer deeds i have done.

Time is starting to become a problem, with just me I can't get enough done. Anyone fancy giving a hand?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:58 PM

@xnewix
This is off topic but , I was wandering if you play civilization.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:26 AM

Randomly, Yes.....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:50 AM

Okay, It has been quite some time again since my last update. I have however been busy with uni work and have only been able to do bits and piece on sporadic occasions.
Things that I have done since my last post, oh okay the one before that. Yes the one 8 months ago....errrr.
Okay, so first up. The Icons live! They now work. Well almost. Oh okay they donít. Clicking on a unit in the game now brings up a list of some of its stats as well as icons that will eventually be used for things such as a construction menu or hiring new troops.
I am having problems still with the icon buttons and their commands. Instead of say the engine doing a command when clicking on an icon it works instead when clicking on the parent unit, sob.  I have no idea why this is the case though.
Not sure if Iíve mentioned this one before but I now have the engine reading nations data correctly. At least from what I can see. Before I miss out a load or glaring errors, but those are sorted now, I think...... Each unit has the potential to train or recruit troops if you want them to, just add a few lines of text to a few files and tad dar your swordsmen can train........swordsmen.......yay! However attempting to use this feature will fry your hard drive.......jk.
Other minor improvements include icons to go with the players resource amounts. They donít look pretty as I donít have time for art stuff now. But the ability to have them is there.
Imí sure there is more but for now I leave you with a poor attempt at a change log. Enjoy.

version 0.1.27
-Life depletion and graphics update for its text works, however life is taken away by clicking the wrong button.
The spwaned icons for a units interface do not do anything. Not sure why.
-The resources panel now has icons to represent the current resources in the game. Not very nice ones though
-File structure re-aranged

version 0.1.26
-Onhover now works correctly for 'units'
-clicking on a 'unit' now displays an 'icon' without crashing
-There is still a bug where if you select a unit and then select it again, a crash occurs
-Fixed VS2008 project file errors, will ow compile
-Fixed a bug that caused a crash when the Options menu was selected

version 0.1.25
-made changes to the nation loading code, units are now assigned to nations correctly.
-removed old code for processing icons for unit. These are now using more identifiable code
-icons can be displayed but have no function, could not use CLoadGraphic to dislay these, _exter was used instead
-going between screens does not hide opend unit info boxes, the remain in place when returning to their screens
-greece is able to use, swordsmen, spearmen and archers.
their stats can be displayed on the screen

version 0.1.24
-added test nations to the game: greece, phoneicia, carthage and egypt
-data for units are now taken from nationlists
-units in game are created from a layer nationstack, gives the ability to upgrade units for seperate players.
-removed old icon loading code as it didn't have the correct structure. strange results occured on loading
-respaced the resource display

To test SDL/Opengl version, use code in SDL_Graphics_Inter. When compiled place Data folder
in same dir as .exe. Make sure have all SDL DLL's and .jpgs required
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +