2 Replies - 4104 Views - Last Post: 27 February 2010 - 01:11 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

DirectX: Loading and Saving Animated Models

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:54 PM

Hello,

I've recently been having issues with some models that I have. They are in the binary-compressed X format, which seems to be unsupported by most game engines and modeling software. I want to convert these to the text or binary X format, but I've been having a hard time finding an information about this.

So, I thought I'd try and write my own converter. I knew that I could save models using DirectX, and that I could choose the format to save them in (text, binary, text-compressed, binary-compressed), using Mesh.Save() in MDX. However, this method does not save the animation data.

I'm hoping someone can give me some suggestions on how to load and save animated models, or maybe point out a tutorial that I missed. The language doesn't matter.

*EDIT*
I think I might be able to do what I want with Mesh.LoadHierarchyFromFile and Mesh.SaveHierarchyToFile. Does anyone know how to use those methods?

Thanks!

This post has been edited by lesPaul456: 25 February 2010 - 02:10 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: DirectX: Loading and Saving Animated Models

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: DirectX: Loading and Saving Animated Models

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:24 PM

Can't you just open them in Blender and save them in a format you understand much better? Blender reads and writes a ton of formats, and I use it for model conversion often. For example, if I need something in the Acknex .MDL format, I open it in Blender and save it in a format MED uses, and then use MED to import that format and make any tiny fixes and save in the final .MDL format (I think MED has command line options to make this all automated if you need).

So for your situation you should research simple formats and pick one Blender can save into.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: DirectX: Loading and Saving Animated Models

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, Blender does not support compressed-binary X files. I was able to write my own converter. However, it didn't work right for every model; some were converted, some weren't. After some searching, I found a third-party converter called Polytrans that works great.

Thanks again for the reply!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1