Your SWF Files Now Have Boxes Around Them

PC users will see them at your site.

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 2271 Views - Last Post: 08 May 2006 - 04:04 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Your SWF Files Now Have Boxes Around Them

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:14 PM

Microsoft recently lost a legal battle with a patent holder about the way Internet Explorer displays OBJECTs and EMBEDs in webpages. Microsoft then decided to update its Internet Explorer browser with changes requiring user input to display and activate ActiveX based media.

This affects all Flash animations but also other files such as QuickTime, RealPlayer, Java and Adobe Acrobat among others. It means users have to click the object first in order to activate its functions.

Luckily, there are ways for website developers to modify their website so that the user experience is not impacted by Microsoft’s changes.

To fix the problem, please follow these steps:

1) Just below the last <object> in your HTML page, insert the following java script:
<script type="text/javascript" src="ieupdate.js"></script>

2) Open a new document in Notepad or your HTML editor, and copy & paste the following content into it:
theObjects = document.getElementsByTagName("object"); 
for (var i = 0; i < theObjects.length; i++) { 
	theObjects[i].outerHTML = theObjects[i].outerHTML; 
}

3) Save this file as ieupdate.js

4) Upload both files to your webserver, and the problem should be solved.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Your SWF Files Now Have Boxes Around Them

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Your SWF Files Now Have Boxes Around Them

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:25 PM

Where did you get this information from
Yes it's usful to webdevelpers, i thank you for supplying it
But can you give the source?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:11 AM

I haven't tried this approach, but I think it might have a problem similar to scripts working the same way:
As it doens't wait for the window.onload or some similar event, the following happens: while loading the page, the browser requests the flash objects from the server, but the script deletes the references and adds new ones, thus creating a new request for each object and it tricks the browser so that it will show the page loading forever - you can check this with a tool like fiddler (www.fiddlertool.com). Side effect: the onload events will never fire! I am not sure if you can always reproduce this event, but try putting more movies into a page, or something similar. Calling the script from onload events might make sense, but it has it's shortcomings too (the objects have to load first, etc.)

What I have done is the following: I create a container div that holds the object inside a noscript tag, and a function loads the objects into the container via setting innerhtml. It is more work, but I think it is a robust solution. Actually it might worth a try to write a function that simply copies the object outside the noscript tag, but it has only occured to me now :o
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:49 PM

Use this to find out more..

http://msdn.microsof...ing_activex.asp

It tells you how to do it just like above but with lots of background information

This post has been edited by red01: 08 May 2006 - 03:53 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2006 - 04:04 PM

Yes, but if I remember correctly all of those methods insert the object using a script only method so they don't display anything ( maybe some placeholder text) if scripting is disabled. And I think Vista (or IE7?) has quite harsh rules on scripting by default. But correct me if I'm talking gibberish, I haven't dealt with this matter for a while.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1