VB6 Roll Call

• (4 Pages)
  • +

46 Replies - 41638 Views - Last Post: 26 October 2014 - 03:41 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: VB6 Roll Call

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

Im not really an expert, but i can get around, i have many programs in vb6, and am always adding to my knowledge so i can help, and i work out my responses before posting them in apps of my own, so 99.99 % of the time they are almost cut and paste...

If i dont know the answer i will try to find it... and am pretty active on the forums too...

Jesse Fender
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:08 PM

View PostCore, on 27 February 2010 - 04:18 AM, said:

Are you are VB6 developer? Have you ever worked on large (and not so large projects) involving VB6? Share your experience with us and we will include you in this list of people that have experience writing software in Visual Basic 6.

Hello all, it's been a while since I have visited but my life is busier than most as I am unable to spend much time on other than work and college. I am currently getting My BA in Business Information Systems, I am MCIT PRO Database Administrator as well as a half dozen other certs including programming and systems administration. I have been writing software since the late 70's. Yeah, I know, I'm an old man. Well the largest project I have done in VB6 is Key Trax II a software application for use by Locksmiths. I have sold it from Singapore to Australia. It is used by some of the largest properties in the world including the Venetian/Palazo Resorts in Las Vegas, Singapore and Macau - China, my latest clients include the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas and The Venetian in Singapore. It includes about 60,000 lines of code written by yours truly. I also wrote the help files, the instruction manual and all the marketing material including the website where I sell and market it; www.thekeywizard.com. I have never had a bug reported, and all my feedback has been from good to phenominal. The software was completed in 2005 and I have not changed a bit of it since and am still selling it as it is the most advanced system for locksmiths managing master key systems. I have begun work on a new version which will expand even beyond the current version and I have decided to produce it in C#. There is a demo version of my app on my website, but if you are not a locksmith you would likely not recognise it's use and function too well. I have also writen other smaller projects for a few world class companies, but nothing as large as Key Trax II, my baby, my pride and joy and till now most lucrative project.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:59 AM

List updated! Thanks you two for sharing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

i'm a very good VB6 programmer too
made alot of programs including databases
add me :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:14 AM

Hello everyone... I am freelance developer from Philippines and i've been been developing systems for almost 4 years using vb6....and Access...... I look forward to knowing fellow developers/programmers in here...I can't wait to learn new things...TNX everyone.....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:55 PM

yep me too. been with VB6 since 2005.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:34 AM

I've been programming in VB since 1993 and VB3 was what convinced me to switch from Mac to windows. I still use VB6 as I have a very large amount of software that I've written over the years and VB6 happens to work for me. Some of the programs that I use the most are written in VB6. One bad experience in attempting to use VB.NET made me realize that it would be necessary to almost totally rewrite most of my code which turned me off the whole .NET framework. My decision instead has been to start learning Java as, if I have to use managed code, I'll do it in the most portable language around.

Having been programming for 44 years, I've had the frustrations of writing lots of code which is now obsolete and have had to rewrite code multiple times to access old data structures that I still use. Still have a fondness for FORTRAN and C, but VB6 has been the simplest way to create nice user interfaces and also the code is fast and compact. I work full time as a doctor now so I just do hobby programming and most of the code I do is for physiologic data acquisition. What I like about VB6 is that I can quickly write programs to acquire data from a dedicated W95 laptop. VB6 programs are compact and run well on old hardware. One of the books that most influenced my VB programming was Hardcore Visual Basic.

What I'll probably have to do in future versions of windows is to do my VB6 development in virtual machines. Have a nice W2K development environment setup in a virtual machine on my 64 bit W7 system and can do things like change the size of text in control labels - an operation which hangs the VB6 IDE running directly on the W7 machine (everything else seems to work).

Given how long I've been programming in VB6, I see absolutely no reason to switch. There's an advantage to knowing a language well enough that it is possible to write a large program in a matter of days with few bugs whereas other languages require constant referrals to manuals and I've spent days finding simple bugs in javascript code that I've written.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

I have been programming in VB6 from the day it came out, I also have been a professional QBASIC developer before that.

I have written complete solutions for companies such as:

Upjohn/Pharmacia
BDO Seidmen
Imperial Graphics
CCMS
Old Kent Banks

And lots more, in fact my main job is still keeping a VB6 product that is sold around the world up and running.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

I love VB6 that's my life :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:34 AM

I have never worked on very big projects :( but I am experienced and have carried out many small personal projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

Hello D.I.C heads, and admins. I have been working with VB6.0 since I was 15 I am now 30 years old, and I still enjoy messing around with VB code.
One of my biggest solo projects was my Completely Automated Universal Server Launcher, I built for a gaming site called LOMCN. The server runs a MMORPG called The Legend of Mir 2. This a 2D game that is still quite popular and now even has United states servers. This was originally a European game that later became open source. Anyway the server was hard to maintain, because each of the seven gates, of the server had to be manually opened. It was also very difficult to close each gate because of the yes no dialog box that would come up each time. The next thing was that some times the Login gate or the DB gate would crash on certain systems. So I decide to make the server automated.

The work I had to do..... :hammer:

I had to hook Handles and Processes using API's such as FindWindow,FindWindowEx, and TerminateProcess to kill hanging gates.

This allowed me to open all 7 gates with one click and vice verse for closing each gate and I was also able to check each gate process to decide weather a gate was open or not. With this said I was able to automatically relaunch any crashing gate, fixing the problem on some systems.
Next I added in a IP changer that allowed the user to fill out a form and hit enter to change several Delphi .ini files to contain the correct Internal and External IP's for the server. The IP changer also sets up the correct information for the SQL database login with one click. I also made the IP changer save the user settings for later use or easy changes.
Next I add the ability to automatic reboot the server, by setting a time date and days between reboots. When the date and time is met, the gates shutdown, a message is sent to the clients to log out, and the server computer reboots. When the computer restarts it automatically opens my server launcher and runs the seven gates by its self.
My next thought was that teams of programmers were developing new exes for the gates and that the handles could change. Therefore I decided to make my program Universal to all servers, with a advanced setting that allows users to enter the handles of each gate. Therefore the launcher can run any program that you can get a handle for using SPY++.
The last big feature of this application was that it also automatic backs up the SQL database every hour on the hour. In order to save disc space and cleanup I made it possible for the user to set the amount of backup allowed. For example if the user set the database backups to 10 then it would save 10 different SQL backups before it starts to replace backups. Each backup is saved with the date and time as the name of the file for ease of use.
By the time I was done with this project the Legend of Mir 2 server, no longer needed to be maintained at all, except for a few initial settings. :shuriken:

:gunsmilie:

1.Runs on startup
2.Launches all gates when program starts
3.Allows you to launch a selected exe from path directory(launches with server)
4.Allows you to set time and date for scheduled reboots
5.Server directories created with batch files allowing the user to easly change directories(If your server is not saved to C:/MirServer)or even other servers
6 Timed reboots set a time a date and the amount of days between reboots so now you dont even have to touch it anymore just let it do the work for you!
7. Keep gates alive no more gate crashes to deal with check it out(runs on server startup)
8. Added 2 different skins
9. Copy the whole folder to where every you want it should run from anywhere

10. ****Now allows the user to set a reboot message to let the client users know to log out safely (CURRENTLY ONLY FOR AUTOMATION)****
Now set 3 different reboot messages 30, 15, 5 minutes, and 30 seconds works with the automated rebooter
New 11. DataBase backup system!!!! does a backup every hour and allows the user to select how many files to keep and when to start overriding them to save space.

Posted Image
ServerStartUpUniversalTools.zip
Btw my other alias is XxEvilDxX
:rockon:

This post has been edited by Toadill: 15 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

Hello guys, I'm brand new here but thought I should follow suit and post here.

I've done more programs and games in VB6 than I can remember. I happen to have some of my random projects up on Youtube so I'll share the links.

This was the basis for a webcam object tracker. I later expanded on this quite a bit after someone hired me to build one that could track multiple targets and report back data about their positions around the environment.
http://www.youtube.c...=9&feature=plcp

Oh well, I have a video on there of a game I did.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pqdf9lDNiTs

Some software designed to see using a webcam and then pick and sort colored blocks using a robot arm.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6lmkFqaGloU

I have multiple game making tutorials online that I made for a friend. These are the largest 2.
Building pacman from scratch.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1Zz7_Yi-3Yw

Building a 2D side scrolling game.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0pKQNiC6adM

There's other little random things on my youtube channel as well. I won't post everything but some of it might be interesting to somebody.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

I have worked on VB6 and have about 3 years of experience. I made the following programs:

1: Surf (Web browser) |Download|
2: Writer (Text editor) |Download| [key to open writer: 1a2b3c4d]
3: Media Studio (Media player) |Download|
4: Advanced System Monitor |Download|
(mediafire password to the above files is: givememycopy)

and many other small programs like Facebook direct, Advanced System Monitor which gives you the direct access to facebook (you dont have to open your browser).

I love programming in Visual Basic. Well, if you would ask me, my talent lies in programming and that is why I continue to do it. Presently I do both, VB6 as well as c++ and html.

Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:23 AM

I coded in VB6 (and VB4 and VB5) for around 12 years from 1996 to 2008. I've now switched to Java for the cross-platform support and because I didn't like VB.NET. If Microsoft had released a real VB7 with full OOP implementation and general updates and bugfixes I might have switched to that.

All of the software I've written has been for friends or family but it seems I did upload one small VB application to SourceForge: OpenAccent - looks like last update was in 2004 so I have no idea if it still works. :P

This post has been edited by adw888: 07 September 2012 - 03:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

I did VB6 till .Net came out. I thought that was it for VB6 till my new job which is mostly maintaining VB6 codes LOL.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +