Program for games?

wish program is best to make games with?

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 888 Views - Last Post: 27 February 2010 - 08:20 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Program for games?

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:48 PM

Hey. I'm new here and im wondering wich program i should start with to make games (Shooting,Defends,Sword and magics and stuffs).
Still wanna have it more in 2D, if you have played the game Sword and Sandals you will see what kind of games i wanna create.
I have alot of ideas and things i can have in my games to make it really Awesome =)

I hope you all can help me :)

/// GameCreator

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Program for games?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Program for games?

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:08 PM

Your post is a bit of a loaded question. Do you already know how to program? If so, what languages? Game programming is definitely not a walk in the park, especially anything with graphics. Almost all languages could be used to code games in, it really depends on what you are looking to do. If you are relatively new to programming, I would recommend starting with XNA or Python (using the Livewires library which is a mask for the more complicated pygame library).

For Python I would recommend the book Guide to Programming with Python by Michael Dawson. It is an introductory programming book and all of the examples in it are games. It progresses to simple 2D games by the end of the book.

For XNA there are a lot of resources on the XNA Creators Club. The book I have is a more advanced book and presumes a medium level of C# and general programming knowledge (XNA Game Studio Creator's Guide by Cawood and McGee).

I really only recommend these two languages because I have created games in them, and they both provide some nice frameworks in which to build games. And they are both free which is also nice.

Good luck with the coding.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Program for games?

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:20 PM

Using C++ with Dark GDK is a good start. Its pretty simple to make a simple 2d game. There are also a couple of good tutorials on youtube. I would recommend Helpfulprogrammer

But then again that is the only thing I have experience, so dont take my word over other people. For me, it was pretty easy. Although you should have at least some programming experience before you do games.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1