8 Replies - 22377 Views - Last Post: 22 June 2011 - 03:25 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to make a VB.NET application portable

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:17 PM

Before everyone starts saying, I know Visual Basic.Net applications need the .Net framework and to be installed in order to run but I have heard some people say there are some ways of making portable VB.Net applications where an actual .exe file is produced. Does anyone know any of these methods? Can anyone confirm they exist?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to make a VB.NET application portable

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to make a VB.NET application portable

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:55 AM

A .NET application will require the .NET runtime all the time (as it is not compiled to native code) to execute. Therefore, all the referenced libraries should be either bundled with the app or already be present on the client machine.

Since .NET Framework in some version (starting with 2.0 in XP SP2 and ending with 3.5 on Windows 7) is already installed, it is not a big issue to distribute just the executable of your application (of course, if it is not using any other third-party DLLs, that should be bundled with the app).

There are tools that can pack all the libraries referenced by the application, but that method has its negative sides. Read more about it here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:30 AM

Though you can use something like Mono and just localize all the Dll's you want to use. That is a bit of an effort though, and probably not worth it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:33 AM

Mono still requires the Mono Framework to be installed. And all the required libraries need to be bundled as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:02 AM

Really I thought you could use Mono-with just the Mono_Lib.dll (or something), hanging around. Anyway you could make the app portable yourself. Create the files, then add all the required files to a new project's resources. Then when it runs, it would show a wizard like interface showing where to dump the files. If the .net framework wasn't installed then you would have to use a Win32 app that would also drop all the required framework *.dll's. Obviously this isnt bullet proof just a rough guide. And your application will have to be careful about changing files in that folder.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:55 PM

Sorry just so I am sure I understand here, if the .net framework is on the machine already. The application should be able to run from say a Flash Drive without putting application resources on the local machine.
Do I need to do anything special to the project when I publish it or just unpackage it on a flash drive and it is ready to go?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Master(Of Foo)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:39 PM

Yes, if the target machine has the same framework already install and most do by now it will work just fine.

This post has been edited by hawkvalley1: 08 October 2010 - 02:58 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:19 PM

All I need is a simple application in which the user is prompted to select a program to install. Would it be easier to do this with a windows form application or console application. Also, sorry I'm sort of new to Visual Basic. What's a WPF application?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:25 AM

View PostElectric_Embers, on 27 November 2010 - 06:19 PM, said:

All I need is a simple application in which the user is prompted to select a program to install. Would it be easier to do this with a windows form application or console application. Also, sorry I'm sort of new to Visual Basic. What's a WPF application?

funny you should ask that, because i only ever use windows forms application. i have only ever used WPF (or even WPF browser application) once to make a drawing program. bit crappy, really. black was the only colour. and i used a tutorial to make it

Windows Forms Application is the main, most basic, most important type of project. Its what you use for normal programs
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1