2 Replies - 762 Views - Last Post: 01 March 2010 - 08:59 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

continuing to program

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:07 AM

I am a senior in Highschool, I started taking c++ and needless to say I love it! I feel like i go to school just for this class. I am seriously considering a career in programming and i know that there are many other languages out there to learn. This fall i will be attending college and I would like any hints or tips, and mainly just your opinion on what types of classes are good for this. Also if there are any things or types of programming i should focus on. I would really appreciate any input you can offer. Thank you!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: continuing to program

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: continuing to program

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:18 AM

I found these helpful:

-Intro to programming - C(1st semester)
C++ is object oriented language.Thus, when you start coding in c++ you main concern will be the oop paradigm, classes, inheritance, polimorphism etc. By learning C first, I already had the knowledge of pointers, using and freeing memory, structures, strings...

-OOP Practicum - C++ (3rd semester)
The title says it all, C++. Learning to think in an "OOP way". Working with strings, classes, STL...

-Algorithm design and analysis(3rd semester)
Learning how to design and implement algorithms for sorting, searching, and all kind of interesting stuff (to me at least :hehe: ) like graph algorithms etc.

Thats basically what I found useful related to C++. There are some others you might consider like Software design, Software testing, Computer Graphics... I took those mentioned above plus maths/graphics since my hobby is game programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: continuing to program

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:59 AM

I personally didn't care for the Algorithms class. It was VERY helpful in relaying dome very basic programming info, but you can only do so many sort, merge,bubble sort, and search algorithms before you become bored, lol.

If you want to do programming, take all the programming classes you can and doing it as a hobby helps prep you as well. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1