10 Replies - 4512 Views - Last Post: 04 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Programming Projects

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:55 AM

So here's the deal...I've been programming for just over half a year now, and I'm willing to admit I'm not very good.

I've recently taken interest in C++, and have been doing some minor projects for learning purposes. (Martyr's mega project list has been awesome)

Accomplishing these projects helped me understand things a little bit better; however, due to randomness of the order in which
I complete them, I feel like I'm slowing myself down.

The purpose of this thread, I suppose, is to see if any of you can remember and list any projects that helped push you to do more with programming.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :^:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Programming Projects

• CEO of GeekTelligence
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programming Projects

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

This may (or may not) be helpful but what I found helpful is to think of a not easy but an accomplish able project to work on which you can work on in steps to reach the final goal such as setting a target for each day of what you want to get done towards that project.

This always helps me to work to an end goal rather than trying to get straight in and make a large/ish program in one go.

Thanks and I hope this helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:13 PM

Programming project list can be found here.

Oh and that also leads you here

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 02 March 2010 - 01:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:19 PM

I included Martyr's mega project list in my OP, but thank you for the C# one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:49 PM

If you've taken any calculus classes...you could write a symbolic differentiation program. In something like C++, C# or Java, it's all just string manipulation. But LOTS of it.

That was one thing that just made me think about things and really learn how to handle input parsing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:09 AM

Write me a program to factor polynomials for me plzkthnx ;) Actually, I was thinking of doing this myself. ^__^

Well, what I do is make a really huge, seemingly impossible goal, and divide it up into sub-goals that are achievable. Once I get closer to achieving those sub-goals, the path to the final goal gets clearer. This is why a bunch of kids give up hope when learning to program. They come here expecting to learn how to make an epic mmo in like a day, then get all bent out of shape when people said it takes time. They get off to a great start learning how to program and stuff, but then they start to jump the gun a bit, and go for the more advanced stuff before making sure they're profficient with the basics. Yea, calculus looks cool at first, but if you don't know how to add 1 + 1 first, you ain't gettin nowhere. After they've jumped the gun, they get frustrated because they're stumbling on the small stuff, and when they look back at their main goal, they get overwhelmed and ill-motivated due to the massiveness of it, and give up. Seen it a million times.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:02 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 03 March 2010 - 11:09 AM, said:

Yea, calculus looks cool at first

At first? ;)

The day I learned that the circumference of a circle was the derivative of the formula for area of a circle, that's when things got interesting.

(btw, minor side note...I got an A in Calc 3 (because it was COOL). Better than I did in 1 or 2. I got C's in those. :D)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

Calc 3? I see why you're a living compiler ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:19 PM

What?! Then help me with my fucking homework you stingy brat! I need you ;___; We're doing 3D integrals or something.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

(they don't call it Calc 3. They call it Vector Calculus. But it's basically Calc 3.)

@NeoTifa: No problemo. I can totally help with that. :) I might be a bit rusty at first, but I'd work it out in my head.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

Calculus was cool. I believe you are studying what was called multivariate calculus when I took it, well around the time you were born actually NeoTifa. Man I feel old!

On to the OP.
Working in a logical progression is usually best. The learning curve is different for everybody though. What have you figured out so far? Where are you interested in going? You said you have been going through Martyr2's list, which of them have you finished so far? Are still working with console or have you made the jump to windowed? Windowed doesn't mean MS Windows, but event driven programming. How familiar are you with object-oriented principles with C++? Have you worked with inheritance and polymorphism yet? Knowing what exactly you have tried and what you have learned will help us give you a better idea of where you can go from where you are.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1