3 Replies - 811 Views - Last Post: 03 March 2010 - 10:00 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hi, I'm New

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:43 AM

Greetings all -

So I dont know if this is the right place for this or not but I am going to give it a shot and hope for the best. Heres the thing, I went to school and received my degree in Computer Science, however I could not find anything in the programming field in my area, so I went to Desktop Support. That was 3 years ago, and now I'm in the process of getting a Junior Software Developer position. I am kind of nervous and was just wondering what to expect in a entry level // junior level position in a Corporate IT Development environment?

I know its all different but to my understanding the same jobs have the same starting point 90% of the time and was looking for a little insight. I have been brushing up on all the basics just to make sure I remember (which I do) but cant think of much else I can do to prepare.

Incase you wondering what I will be coding in, most likely starting with VB6, probably some java and C++ later in my career there, (assuming I get the position which I am 90% sure I will), there will be some HTML too but I am not that worried about it.

So, sorry it's long but as I stated before any insight would be most appreciated.

-MikeMan

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hi, I'm New

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hi, I'm New

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:02 AM

Welcome to D.I.C.

Let me move this to the Corner Cubicle forum, for which it might be better suited.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:17 AM

I'm going to assume the company knows your history when it comes to computer science?

If this is the case, you shouldn't have a problem. Unless you flubbed your way through everything, or told them you know a lot more than you actually do, they have to expect that it's going to be somewhat of a learning process for both parties.

Anyway, you should be fine. Keep reviewing things like you have been, and be ready to work your butt off to learn the rest.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for the speedy response, in reality my best friend will be my boss and claims to know what i can and cant do so assuming he wouldn't set me up for failure in that aspect i should be fine. I just wasn't sure if there were things that I would be expected to know besides the traditional basic knowledge received in college, or something I missed being out of the game for so long.

Either way your response was appreciated and I will continue to do the same as I have been.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1