I'm looking for a job...

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 1168 Views - Last Post: 23 March 2010 - 01:04 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Freelancing Work

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:39 PM

Hello World,

My name is Eyolf Johnson, I code and make applications in VB for 2¢/Line Code.
It also goes onto how long it takes me, how many forms in each Project, Custom Icon Making.
Project Controls, Ect.

E-Mail Me at EyolfJohnson@Freelancing.com if you want in. We'll discuss more later...

Do not post on here for Projects... In order for me to make a deal we need to over it... Privatly.

Recommended by the N.V.B.C.,
E. Johnson

Edit: Leave a MSG Here if your message bounces

This post has been edited by VeeBeer: 06 March 2010 - 05:06 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Freelancing Work

• Perl Parson
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Freelancing Work

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:22 AM

Interesting... I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to charge per LoC for programming before.

You may want to consider a different model unless you're aiming at a target market consisting solely of people who know nothing about programming. My first thought on reading that was that it sounds like an incentive for you to write huge, bloated spaghetti code, avoid using standard libraries, etc. because reinventing wheels and making your code as verbose as possible would mean that you get paid more. ("I could use this well-debugged, battle-tested, standard FTP library and transfer the file in 5 lines of code for $0.10, or I could write my own brand-new, buggy, 1,000-line implementation of the FTP protocol and get paid $20...")

I don't mean to suggest that you actually do act in such an unethical manner, but reading "I charge by the line of code" immediately brought the possibility to my mind.

There's also the issue that improving code often means making it shorter, such as when you refactor duplicate sections of code into a single subroutine. This is another major flaw with evaluating programmer productivity by the number of lines of code they produce.

Edit: $0.02 * 1000 = $20, not $200...

This post has been edited by dsherohman: 06 March 2010 - 03:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:10 AM

Yes I'm am highly aware of that matter, but I don't like to right large amounts of code at any given time.

I break it down in to How many IF Statments there are.

So an IF Statment that is 45 Lines of code including the If and End If Lines I would only charge a minimum of 20.

The same is true with Switch statments and Other statments that would otherwise cost more then there really worth.
Besides I dont like getting evaluated on my code, I like getting evaluated for how the program works to the company/person's advantage.

What I meant to say for 2/Line Code was 2/Line of code thats over 100 Coulums (Not including Private Class Headers)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

View PostVeeBeer, on 06 March 2010 - 07:10 AM, said:

Yes I'm am highly aware of that matter, but I don't like to right large amounts of code at any given time.

So an IF Statment that is 45 Lines of code including the If and End If Lines I would only charge a minimum of 20.

The same is true with Switch statments and Other statments that would otherwise cost more then there really worth.
Besides I dont like getting evaluated on my code, I like getting evaluated for how the program works to the company/person's advantage.

What I meant to say for 2/Line Code was 2/Line of code thats over 100 Coulums (Not including Private Class Headers)

Honestly, I doubt anyone will pay per LoC.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:20 PM

View PostVeeBeer, on 06 March 2010 - 09:10 AM, said:

So you would be financially inclined to write a program with many if statements rather than implementing a switch case, which would make for a less efficient but more expensive product. Not to mention that error checking now means a higher priced product. I would never put a price on the standard of my product. If I say that my code will perform a function, I'm not going to charge the client extra to assure that it does it correctly.

How many jobs have you gotten that were paid per LoC?

Oh & by the way,

Do not post on here for Projects... In order for me to make a deal we need to over it... Privatly.

If you are posting here looking for work, you posted in the wrong forum. This is for freelancing discussion, not advertising your freelancing opportunity.

VeeBeer said:

Besides I dont like getting evaluated on my code

May I humbly suggest you might be in the wrong field of work... it's only to be expected that when you bill a client that they will judge you on your work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Lemur  Icon User is online

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:19 PM

To me it sounds like you're far far too greenhorn to even think about this. Like Highschool greenhorn. Not being evaluated on your code? Seriously? Any competent employer will review it, that much I can promise you. Good code makes good process, bad code makes it slower, error-prone, difficult to fix, and even worse to upgrade. You're shooting yourself in the foot like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:39 PM

Pardon my ignorance but what does this mean

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:04 PM

View PostAdkins, on 20 March 2010 - 12:39 PM, said:

Pardon my ignorance but what does this mean

Thanks

http://tinyurl.com/yedlv56

Not sure that lists any big deal recommendations...

This post has been edited by Craig328: 23 March 2010 - 01:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1