Page 1 of 1

GIMP: The Cloudy Effect Creating a cloud-style bg w/ the GIMP Rate Topic: -----

• Proud supporter of the lulz
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:10 PM

First tut! I know that this is very simple stuff, plz give me feedback on the form of the tut.

A good sig often starts or is embellished with a cloudy effect layer. This effect, which is easily attainable with Photoshop, is however a bit more of a challenge to create when it comes to us poor people who use the GIMP. This tutorial will explain in detail how to achieve this cool cloudy effect using the GIMP to create mean-ass sigs for forums or other.

On this article, I will discuss mainly how to create backgrounds, but with a bit of layer transparency, it can be put as masking layer too.

Once that you have selected the appropriate sig size, go to Filters->Render->Clouds->Solid Noise. A new dialog will now open, where you will then be asked to select various options related to your cloud.

-Random Seed: Determines the patterns of the cloud. Just click the new seed button until you get a pattern that you like.

-Detail: This determines the sharpness of you clouds. This is mostly personal preference. I like 1 and 8 to 15.

-Turbulent: This makes a darker cloud. I personally think it makes the sig too dark, but use what you like.

-X Size: How horizontally stretched your clouds are. I like anywhere from 1.8 to 4, but again, this is your choice.

-Y Size: Same thing as X Size, but vertically. I like anywhere from 1.5 to 3, personal preference yet again.
In this exercise, we will be using Random Seed 3589579885, Detail 4, X size 2.6 and Y size 2.1.

At this point, you will have something that looks like this:

Posted Image

OOooo, wow clouds! These are nice, but the color is a bit dull. To fix this, go to: Layer->Colors->Colorize. A prompt will now appear where you will select the Hue, Saturation and Light values. Experimentation is the best way to understand these values. For this example, I will be using Hue 222, Saturation 59 and Light 65. You should now obtain an image like this one:

Posted Image

Even more OOooo, wow! COLORED CLOUDS! Now lets add some signature stuff. On mine, I just cut and pasted a couple of pictures of the BMW logo, M3 logo and the M3 outline, but the sky is the limit when it comes to sigs. I also added a beveled border to mine. The result:

Posted Image

Yes, I know, the layout sucks big time. But anyways, you should now master the art of creating cloudy-style backgrounds.

All of my tutorials, plus other tech-related stuff can be found on my blog before it ends up her, so be sure to take a look once in a while.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: GIMP: The Cloudy Effect

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:12 AM

Hey! Thanks for the Tut, but is it just me or can anyone else see the pictures? Cause I can't?
But thanks anyways! :). I've only started using GIMP, having a few troubles though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:27 PM

neither do i. but anyway nice tut :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:07 PM

I have check the links, and the files appear to be missing, I will look into having Max supply new images or host them here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:25 AM

image are still not up

This post has been edited by loopielizzie: 03 February 2010 - 05:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1