Creating a game like DDR(dance dance revolution)

i have a few questions as in How should i do it

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 5476 Views - Last Post: 10 March 2010 - 09:59 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Creating a game like DDR(dance dance revolution)

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:42 PM

Well...Ive read that you arn´t gonna make my homework and that´s not my case, i think...
At school our ticher gave us an assingment, to make a videogame using Visual Basic 2008, a friend and i chose to make a dancing game like DDR, you know the one you step on the arrows followin the beat,but in our case we want to use the arrow keys from the keyboard, im not really good at programing so my first question is " is it posible to make a DDR using VB 2008?" if so " can you give me a hint in how could i make one?" or at least show me how to make the Graphic part an i´ll do the programming part

thanks ^^

Ok thanks for makein me know that it is possible creating this game. I understand that i coul use DirectX and a bunch of other things for the graphics,but my basic idea was making an "Ugly" version of DDR In a visual basic 2008 , let me explain, my original idea was makin 4 buttons wich would be the arrow(left,right,up,down), and for the beat arrows i was thinking of creating a bunch of other buttons that would be Unebled and be hidden or not visible, then with a timer make them go up one by one and when they get to the location where the first 4 buttons are, program that if you press the same key as the one thats going up, you earn points, i think i could do that, but i still need some help, suggestions? or an esey way to do it the way to do it? ^^

This post has been edited by Xavi_Kun: 10 March 2010 - 04:15 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Creating a game like DDR(dance dance revolution)

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Creating a game like DDR(dance dance revolution)

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

Yes.. it is possible to make a DDR game in VB.NET... it shouldn't be that difficult compared to other things... though with statements like "im not really good at programing" I think you might have a really difficult time doing it.

Graphics? Pick your poison... opengl... the default graphics library.. directx... I would suggest XNA from Microsoft. That will at least get you going fast enough to build some sort of engine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Creating a game like DDR(dance dance revolution)

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:59 AM

DDR might be a little involving because it might just be scrolling arrows up on a screen to a hit area, but you have to make the beatmap. Mapping arrows to sync with a song is actually kind of hard to do.

The easiest way to implement this (but makes it the hardest to make beatmaps with) is to add some part of your program that reads a text file that looks like this:

Min:Sec:Milli UDLR
0:13:124 .D..
"

And so on where it's timestamps and what arrows are active then. Don't try to implement hold-down arrows until you've gotten it to play the song and sync arrows yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1