Login using a swipe card in desktop application

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 5462 Views - Last Post: 19 March 2010 - 04:47 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

swipe card login

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:20 AM

Hi,

I am developing an desktop application using c#.
I need a log in system using a swipe card. I am quite new to these kind of programming. I don't know how these kind of machines is handled by a c#? What is the logic behind?
It would be very helpful if any one can help me with a detailed answer.

Thanks in advance
Dileep
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: swipe card login

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: swipe card login

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:41 AM

Without knowing what type of swipe card machine your using and/or how it connects it would be hard to help.

I can imagine it working one of two ways. Either it will work as an input device that may be able to represented by a text box or it will work as a serial device meaning you will have to talk to it using the Serial classes available in the framework.

I think (and I could be wrong since I have never done this) if you just have the cursor in an ordinary text box and scan a bar code using a bar code scanner it will type in the bar code number in text form automatically there could be a small chance it would work similarly on a smart card reader.

[rules][/rules]
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:54 PM

View Postdanny_kay1710, on 10 March 2010 - 08:41 AM, said:

Without knowing what type of swipe card machine your using and/or how it connects it would be hard to help.

I can imagine it working one of two ways. Either it will work as an input device that may be able to represented by a text box or it will work as a serial device meaning you will have to talk to it using the Serial classes available in the framework.

I think (and I could be wrong since I have never done this) if you just have the cursor in an ordinary text box and scan a bar code using a bar code scanner it will type in the bar code number in text form automatically there could be a small chance it would work similarly on a smart card reader.

[rules][/rules]

Hi

Thanks for the reply.
Now I am log In by checking user name password, which is fetch and checked from a database.
The card reader is working as an input device. If I put a text box to get the data from the card, how can I decide the card swipe is over? Which event of the text box is used?
I don't know my understanding is in wrong or not?

Thanks
Dileep

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:47 AM

Dileep,

Almost all of the magnetic card devices will work in two ways.

One is an attached keyboard.
The other will present itself as a COM port (and you will use the System.IO.Ports namespace to work with it.)

If the attached keyboard approach is used, the type of device will influence how you get at the data.

Some will allow you to get at the device through HID USB protocols, some will not.

So, that is the reason danny_kay1710 said "Without knowing what type of swipe card machine your using and/or how it connects it would be hard to help."

What you want to do with the data is a separate issue from how you will get at the data... (or any events - if they are even available to you)

Hope that makes sense?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1