• (3 Pages)
  • +

42 Replies - 1788 Views - Last Post: 31 March 2010 - 04:03 AM

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Toyota Problems, Hardware or Software

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:15 PM

skyhawk133 has it right. PUT THE THING IN NEUTRAL!

This is why my uncle said he would never buy an automatic. Push in the clutch, shift into neutral, and let the engine rev all that it wants. If the clutch won't work, you grind the gears a little. Better than crashing into something. He says with the standard he saves on his brakes as well.

OT: Considering how easy it is for a computer to freeze, I believe it has something do to with the computer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:47 PM

9 out of 10 people who say 'put it in neutral' would piss themselves before remembering to put it into neutral and then rear end a semi truck and die smelling of urine.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:48 PM

I also heard that the newly dead tend to shit themselves as well, so they would probably smell like a total outhouse instead of just urine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:21 PM

People tend to panic in a crisis. Nyck, you are right, Bill Cosby put it this way.

If you are about to hit a truck, first you say it and then you do it.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:31 PM

The software Engineer that I used to work with said that the Prius is just like a computer with "soft power". Everything is controlled by the computer though the use of sensors and servos.

For example:
1> you push the gas pedal, it moves a sensor
2> computer reads the sensor and the computer moves a servo.

CharlieMay: Is it me or does anyone else think the first instinct after finding the brakes aren't getting the job done that the next step would be shutting off the engine?

You can't turn it off if the computer has malfunctioned. Just like your computer when it locks up, you have to hold the button down. If that does not work then you have to disconnect the battery.

no2pencil: uhm, only my Chevette had the ability to turn the key off while the car was in drive.

I've tried this with my old 1981 truck, It will let you turn off the engine while driving but the steering wheel will lock in place if you turn the key all the way.

Plus, my manual transmission has brass syncros in it that will not let you shift gears until the right RPMs are meet.

skyhawk133: How hard would it be to put the car in NEUTRAL?

From what my engineering friend told me, even the transmission is computer / servo controlled. If the computer freezes, then it will not let you change gears.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Using up all your 1's and 0's
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:58 PM

View Postcalvinthedestroyer, on 11 March 2010 - 09:31 PM, said:

skyhawk133: How hard would it be to put the car in NEUTRAL?

From what my engineering friend told me, even the transmission is computer / servo controlled. If the computer freezes, then it will not let you change gears.

I'm hoping that the shifting and the accelerating systems are two different systems. There is no proof that cars in "infinite speed up" mode are unable to shift. People have gotten these cars under control, so there must be someway to unstick the throttle, likely through either turning off the ignition (but it will lock your steering) or shifting to neutral. Seriously, if neither of those work, you're fucked anyway. Why are we arguing. All we said that if you don't try to shift to neutral before calling 911, you are officially a fuck stick. Like honestly, what's 911 going to do for you? Dispatch an ambulance to come pick your dead ass up? Great.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:03 PM

View PostTriggaMike, on 11 March 2010 - 11:58 PM, said:

Like honestly, what's 911 going to do for you?

Full Story

The California Highway Patrol said the driver of a Toyota Prius, James Sikes, called 911 around 1:30 p.m. to say the car's accelerator was stuck and he couldn't slow it down.

The caller was driving eastbound on Interstate 8 near San Diego as this was happening, reports CBS News correspondent Ben Tracy. At one point the car was traveling at 90 mph.

The Highway Patrol responded. To get the runaway car to stop, they actually had to put their patrol car in front of the Prius and step on the brakes. The car eventually stopped near La Posta Bridge, but the whole even lasted for about 20 minutes.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:15 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 11 March 2010 - 10:03 PM, said:

View PostTriggaMike, on 11 March 2010 - 11:58 PM, said:

Like honestly, what's 911 going to do for you?

Full Story

The California Highway Patrol said the driver of a Toyota Prius, James Sikes, called 911 around 1:30 p.m. to say the car's accelerator was stuck and he couldn't slow it down.

The caller was driving eastbound on Interstate 8 near San Diego as this was happening, reports CBS News correspondent Ben Tracy. At one point the car was traveling at 90 mph.

The Highway Patrol responded. To get the runaway car to stop, they actually had to put their patrol car in front of the Prius and step on the brakes. The car eventually stopped near La Posta Bridge, but the whole even lasted for about 20 minutes.

Still, that guy was really lucky. The family that died wasn't so lucky and they called 911 as well. It really depends where you are and what time it is, who is driving, and just how fast your car maxes out at. Seems like somewhere around 90mph is about the typical speed I've heard from different reports? That isn't too fast, faster than you'd wanna be doing any serious curves at though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:15 PM

Nothing to do about the faults just a interesting show here:

One of my friends car was stolen ( a toyota avensis ) they found the car the next day just past the border in lesotho abandoned and stuck in a ditch. This is what the car looks like when he got his car back:

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:20 PM

My friend said that you have to "stand" on the brakes. I would hit a semi truck and let the truck help slow me down. One other method is to rub up against a guard rail or concrete divider to slow down.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:20 PM

View PostTriggaMike, on 12 March 2010 - 12:15 AM, said:

Still, that guy was really lucky.

You're actually going to defend stating that calling 911 is a waste of time? If putting the car into neutral, or turning off the car does not work... one is left with very little options. Sure, that guy was lucky. But when you say it like you did... I mean seriously? What does calling 911 do? Gee uhm, save the "fuck sticks" ass. I really have a problem with you calling the driver(s) a fuck stick & that stating that 911 won't help. What is wrong with you?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:30 PM

I'm getting tired of the public (and Government) crucifying Toyota over this, it's not like GM, Ford, Chrysler and now Honda haven't had recalls before, but none of them were put through what Toyota's going through now.

I mean Ford had a car (Pinto) that would explode if rear-ended just right. Right now Honda is recalling more and more cars as the days go by but I dont see the government pushing criminal charges against them.

</rant>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:33 PM

The Ford Pinto's read bumper was made of Flint.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• A$$hole Extraordinaire.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:34 AM

This is why I drive standards.
Remedial action for a standard:
1) throw in neutral or hit clutch 2) leave the car in gear and stand on the brake and pull e-brake (provided you actually take the time to service your brakes).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:02 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 11 March 2010 - 10:20 PM, said:

View PostTriggaMike, on 12 March 2010 - 12:15 AM, said:

Still, that guy was really lucky.

You're actually going to defend stating that calling 911 is a waste of time? If putting the car into neutral, or turning off the car does not work... one is left with very little options. Sure, that guy was lucky. But when you say it like you did... I mean seriously? What does calling 911 do? Gee uhm, save the "fuck sticks" ass. I really have a problem with you calling the driver(s) a fuck stick & that stating that 911 won't help. What is wrong with you?

Chill out. What I meant by past statements isn't that calling 911 is a bad idea, but if it's your first and only plan of action, you should get your head checked.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +