What'd I do )))

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 602 Views - Last Post: 15 March 2010 - 07:10 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

NEEDS HELP

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:32 PM

Hi! Everybody! :)
I'd like to ask one question. It'd be better if answered a Web Developer.
Now I'm studying Java at University, I know that Java is really powerful "instrument", is it possible to become a good Web Developer using just this OOP Language, coz me lectures says that "You should be good just at one Language", and I've decided to become a WD. What should I do, should I continue styding this language in order to become a WD, or I should "turn my way" (to start study other languages like: php, ruby ...). If someone can answer this question, could u mail me on: ********* Or just post here. Your faithfully. Thanks.

This post has been edited by Dogstopper: 14 March 2010 - 01:55 PM
Reason for edit:: Believe me, you DON'T want to put your email on here...

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: NEEDS HELP

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: NEEDS HELP

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

Now I'm studying Java at University and by myself(3 year), I know that Java is really powerful "instrument", is it possible to become a good Web Developer using just this OOP Language, coz me lectures says that "You should be good just at one Language", and I've decided to become a WD. What should I do, should I continue studying this language in order to become a WebDev, or I should "turn my way" (to start study other languages like: php, ruby ...). If someone can answer this question, could u mail on me: <removed> Or just post here. Your faithfully. Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:37 PM

View PostSudoman, on 14 March 2010 - 12:32 PM, said:

Now I'm studying Java at University, I know that Java is really powerful "instrument", is it possible to become a good Web Developer using just this OOP Language, coz me lectures says that "You should be good just at one Language", and I've decided to become a WD. What should I do, should I continue styding this language in order to become a WD, or I should "turn my way" (to start study other languages like: php, ruby ...). If someone can answer this question, could u mail me on: sudoman@namba.kg Or just post here. Your faithfully. Thanks.

Well, Might I say that PHP is a OOP language. But, You can use Java to make astounding web pages, JEE is something you should learn if you do decide to make Java webpages. PHP is good mostly for most websites & pages though. And considering that there many more different web page technologys out there your bound to find the one for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:51 PM

I have been a web developer for over 9 years and currently work as one professionally. Java can be used for web development, but is it prolific out there? No. Java is a great language but by far the more popular web development languages are ASP.NET and PHP for server-side content (with languages like Ruby or Python coming up fast) and Javascript for client side code and things like actionscript (aka Flash) for more media intensive sites. I do not believe you should be focusing on just one language for web development. In todays web development industry, you are actually seeing a diverse set of languages working together.

Every day I am working with PHP, Javascript, HTML and CSS. This is just to do basic sites. So if you want to be a web developer I strongly recommend you at least pick up ASP.NET or PHP (preferably both) and also be quite good at Javascript. Notice I say Javascript, not Java. They are different things.

Again Java is a great language and can really take you places, but in web development it has limitations and not a whole lot of companies are dealing with it exclusively for web development. They do use it for applets and such so that can certainly help round out your skills, but you really need to be looking at server-side languages and certainly a few of them... not just one.

Be good at a few of them and be familiar with the others. Make sure you are solid with at least one server-side language and Javascript. Also find one database that compliments your server-side language choice to study as well. If you choose ASP.NET then SQL Server is what you will want to learn and if you choose PHP then MySQL is what you will want to learn.

Everything I have said here is pretty standard and I am actually a bit shocked that your instructor would say only be good in one language because the web is clearly becoming more and more diversified and web developers are expected to know at least a few of the languages involved.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:54 PM

My first suggestion would be to find a different instructor, because anyone teaching IT or CS that is knowledgeable about the subject would never tell you to stick to one language. This industry is so fast paced that you must learn multiple languages and be as versatile as possible if you want to last as a professional programmer. While Java is great for web development, so are PHP, ASP.NET, ColdFusion, etc. Also, even though you do need to pick up multiple languages, it is about quality over quantity. So pick a handful of languages and make sure you know them well, so that when you go to apply for an entry level programming or web development position, you'll be well rounded. Though at the entry-level, no employer is going to expect you to have completely mastered your trade.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:58 PM

Topics have been merged. Please do not repost in different forums. Thanks. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:05 PM

I believe that whoever told you do do one single thing has no clue what they're saying. A language is merely a tool for programming. Sure you learn to program with a language, but once you know how to program, you can use any language that suits your needs! Personally, I'm an individual who writes my software in Java after using Python to discover the best algorithm and then publishes my discoveries using PHP. So, really, it is good to have a variety that you are competent at.

Even full blown developers like those at Sun, Microsoft, and Google still look at API and documentation at some points. So my point is, don't go and learn every language under the sun, but know several that you really like and learn them well. Also, since there are several different paradigms (OOP, Procedural, Functional...) out there, pick the one that you think with the best. (Unless you're amazing, like baavgai is and just learn them all.)

View PostMartyr2, on 14 March 2010 - 03:58 PM, said:

Topics have been merged. Please do not repost in different forums. Thanks. :)

Right when I was trying to post too....was trying to find it...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:10 AM

Hm. I'm going to take a moment to disagree with pretty much everyone here about how many languages you should learn. I'm going with the assumption that prior to your java course at university you knew zero development languages. If that is the case, most definitely learn ONE language first, become adept with it and then, once you've not only become capable with that particular language but also with the overall concept of application/web development, THEN you are ready to learn other languages as you need.

There are principles to be learned first to be an effective developer in any language. I like to refer to them as mental gymnastics. Problem solving techniques done step by logical step to arrive at the desired conclusion. Those skills exist independent of any particular language and they get cultivated as you become more adept in the initial language you choose.

I've been a developer for over 11 years and pretty much nobody started by learning 2 or 3 languages. Trying to learn PHP, ASP, and Python all at the same time, for instance, isn't just a silly idea...I don't personally know anyone who's started from zero and done that and been successful. Each language has nuances, quirks and concepts unique to it and trying to learn competing languages simultaneously won't give you any kind of real immediate "edge" but will confuse the unholy hell out of you. HTML, CSS, Javascript really are separate development mediums and they all do pretty much exclusive things although there can be a small amount of overlap and crossover. They aren't languages, per se, like your examples of PHP or Ruby. They compliment those languages and extend what those languages do.

Get good at one thing at a time and when you're good at it, then add new skills as you need them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1