Public blog idea

what do you think about blog being public?

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 2200 Views - Last Post: 03 June 2010 - 03:11 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Public blog idea

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:07 PM

Hi i've started a new blog about IT but there are sooo many of them that it is very hard to come up with something interesting and original. I've decided to make my blog public - registered people could rite articles and add them to the blog. I would then preview them and publish. Do you think it would work? the blog address is MeAndIT.com. If you can give me a feedback on what do you like and dislike about it. I am a complete noob in writing a blog so I would appreciate any comments you can leave for me.
thank you,
Triusikas.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Public blog idea

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Public blog idea

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:11 AM

That is one of the many ways guest blogging can work, I prefer this way but it is used less often than some of the other methods.

After looking at the blog, it is a nice theme but I think you should make the homepage posts to be extracts rather than just titles. Also, be careful if you add any more to your sidebar, sometimes they can look tacky.

Good start and good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:49 AM

View PostShane Hudson, on 16 March 2010 - 10:11 AM, said:

That is one of the many ways guest blogging can work, I prefer this way but it is used less often than some of the other methods.

After looking at the blog, it is a nice theme but I think you should make the homepage posts to be extracts rather than just titles. Also, be careful if you add any more to your sidebar, sometimes they can look tacky.

Good start and good luck!

Thanks for the feedback. This is my first blog and I don't know anything about blogging. It's harder than i thought though. The hardest part is attracting traffic to the blog. Any recommendations how to do it? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• $bert = new DragonUnicorn(); $bert->rawr();
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:03 AM

First and foremost a few things to point out about the blog itself.

When using a post slider up at the top that is image based it is a good idea to give the posts themselves images even if you are not the original writer.

On a tech blog such, as this making the container a little wider would help allowing you to have more on the main page.

The front page should be reserved for featured articles. This will show new readers that you have some great content or else the home page is always going to have something new which is not always a good thing. The posts that keep coming in from other readers should be placed in the sidebar.

Be sure to moderate the posts that are coming in. If everyone can post and the posts are going to be accepted without approval you will begin to receive some very poorly written content.

Aside from the points I made above you may also want to look into making your own theme that you will be able to customize to your liking. I like the idea behind this blog and I think you are going into everything with the best of intentions although it isn't always a good idea to throw ads into a small blog like this until you begin to have some regular readers.

Goodluck!

This post has been edited by calebj: 25 March 2010 - 10:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:11 AM

Its a good start for a noob. Cheers! If you like you can get some topics from my site as well. I will not put here the link but just look at my signature.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:58 PM

Blogging is great, but before you jump right in, it's best to do research. Check this out: http://www.blogussion.com/

And, don't just 'expect' people to write articles for you. It takes a lot of effort on your part to grow the blog before anyone thinks of helping you out. Trust me :)

Its good that you've got a lot of posts already, keep it up!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• $bert = new DragonUnicorn(); $bert->rawr();
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:55 PM

Fortunately he is a member of a pretty gnarly community which will increase hits and chance of getting people to guest post on his blog.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:11 AM

I really like the top navigation, very pretty.

That being said the rest of the site is abit of a mess if you ask me, both the side bars a hugely packed with content, which I feel distracts from the main content too much. Another thing, change the FavIcon, it looks very unprofessional to keep the default Wordpress icon. Also as has already pointed out you should really look into creating your own theme, which suits your image.

/Website feedback

All that being said, I quite like the idea of a "public blog", and think it could really work, the content already seems pretty decent, check outBlogussion for various blogging related tips.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1