6 Replies - 1780 Views - Last Post: 16 May 2006 - 09:44 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Please review my new site techslick.com

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:33 PM

Hello,

Please review my new site techslick.com
What do you think about the colors, the categories of my forum.

Any suggestions/critiques welcomed.

This post has been edited by ablaye: 12 May 2006 - 09:35 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Please review my new site techslick.com

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Please review my new site techslick.com

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:52 PM

Techslick
It's a clean site, but i find it... well a little boring to be honest. Not that it isn't a good design, just that i've seen it a hundred times before. You may want to add more features around the sides (like this site). as well as possibly spacing out the forums a little more, it feels a little jumbled i guess is what my biggest complaint would be. (and that's on my huge monitor)
It seems to have a lot of catagories, and looks promising, plus i like the name quite a bit. Perhaps the colours are too close together for the overall site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:12 PM

It's not bad, I like the colors.

You definately have a lot of categories here, thats not always a good thing. We're always cutting down on categories here on DIC so more content can be served per forum.

The logo could use a little spice, I'm not a big fan... Take a look at some orginal fonts that you could use at http://abstractfonts.com

It's a solid start though.

MediaGroup1, (the network DIC is in) recently launched a new community called ForumAdmins, it isn't much yet, but it's going to grow fast and I think you would be a great addition to the community. It's designed for forum administrators and moderators.

Check it out at http://forumadmins.net
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:29 AM

It's PHPBB...yuck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:48 AM

The style/skin is nice, though it whole thing looks extremely packed in.

Also, we'll have no dissin' phpBB.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Proud supporter of the lulz
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:44 AM

In french we call that "generic". Any moron can setup a forum, specially with phpbb, most places who have a forum have some other content apart from that, making the forum a place to talk about that content. Technology Forums is a term that is too wide to get any visitors. What people want is specialization, like DIC and code for example. Consider adding a tech blog or something.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:44 AM

I have to agree that the muted design is way too generic. In addition, the colors are low contrast and the text is small which is poor design; you want people to look at text and instantly be able to read it. Also, the orange hover color exhibits poor readability; as a general rule, that color should be avoided for text.

Anyway, one of the biggest things I dislike about the way people set up forums is that they create way too many categories under the, "build it and they shall come", methodology and end up getting maybe one post a week per forum or something like that; it doesn't work that way. Unless you know that you're going to have a large, almost immediate influx of visitors, start with a tiny number of forums so that people don't have to forum hop just to see that one new post in a particular forum. I can't recall how many times I've had to do something like jump to five different forums to read only five posts or encountered a board where there are more forums than members.

Also, expand slowly; don't suddenly decide to expand with a large number of new forums all at once. I've seen it happen and all of a sudden a forum that's doing decent suddenly becomes decentralized and looks empty, making people become disinterested.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1