looking for feedback and a bit of help

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 702 Views - Last Post: 26 March 2010 - 08:57 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

one of my first attemts at a site

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:27 AM

hi everyone

i posted my site in the html and css thread for a bit of help which i got but one of the posters gave me the link for this forum which I hadn't realised I was here.

This is what I've done so far: http://loca.oasiz.net/whispers/

I know theres a problem in the FAQ section but cant quite see how to correct the CSS. Also I'd like the contact page to have more height.

I've started creating another site but this is the more advanced one. I've only done these two sites so still learning a lot. I would appreciate some feedback and pointers that anyone can give me to improve it. This site will be used by my dad to promote his new reiki business which he is in the process of starting up so I want to do as good a job as possible of it for him and also so I can include it later in a portfolio so I can hopefully improve my chances of finding web related work. I hope its not too bad for a nearly first attempt! :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: one of my first attemts at a site

• The Real Skynet
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: one of my first attemts at a site

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:40 PM

The problem with the FAQ (I'm assuming you're talking about the white line in the cloud image) comes from the fact that the image has a white bar at the bottom of it. Removing said white bar will fix that part of the problem. However, I would advise finding a larger cloud image, as the one you're using is smaller than the div it's the background for, at least on that page, so it's starting to repeat.

Also, to increase the default height of pages with little content (provided you're not using IE, as it's known to have issues with this attribute), you should consider using min-height. On your site, you'd probably use min-height on .background and .transbox, I'd think.

Hope you find this helpful. At some point you'll probably want to make sure it's standards compliant, but overall, it's not bad for a first run :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:57 PM

thanks for your thoughts, sorry its taken me a while to reply! that saves me scratching my head any more, ive increased the height of that image on the FAQ page, yes that's what I was talking about. I'll try and make some adjustments with the min-height. this sounds like a daft question, how would I check/ensure that it is standard's compliant or is that a whole subject area in itself?

glad you think its not too bad, still a bit nervous about showing others my work but I'll have to get over that! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• $bert = new DragonUnicorn(); $bert->rawr();
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:57 AM

The website is now gone so I can not check through it but to answer your question on standards there are two nice tools you can use. One is firebug. It is a Mozilla Firefox addon that allows you to check the site for syntax.
The second thing that you can use is a W3C validator. It will go through your code and check for errors. You can submit the site via link, text or file.

http://validator.w3.org/

http://getfirebug.com/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1