1 Replies - 456 Views - Last Post: 19 March 2010 - 06:12 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Will Bronx High School of Science help me be a much better programer?

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:39 PM

i got my shsat (specialized high schools admissions test) results for nyc specialized high schools, and im attending The Bronx High School of Science next year... Does anybody know if this school give me the tools to be a much better programer such as clases or courses? They say they have a good course in C++ and other "sofisticated languages" and im wondering if anyone can tell me how this school is a good choice for my future (as a programer.) Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Will Bronx High School of Science help me be a much better programer?

• WinRT Dev
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Will Bronx High School of Science help me be a much better programer?

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:12 AM

I think that any school is just fine if you are interested in what you are being taught. All learning should come from own interests and desires. The best school in USA won't help you be a better programmer if you aren't interested in it and you don't do anything except the mandatory exerices the school gives you.
There are lots of programmers who haven't gone to school to learn programming. If you want to do something, do it. With schools or without them. If I were you, I wouldn't wait to see if the Bronx high school magically reveals you the secrets of the code, I would look for those on my own when I just got time.

But I wonder, if high schools in USA are anything like they are here in Finland, they won't help you much. At least here the schools give pupils the basic acknowledge of about everything but if you want to specialize you have to go to the university or polytechnics/university of applied sciences.
But on the other hand the name indicates it is a bit more spezialised school than average schools so I bet it won't hurt your career. But not knowing the alternatives it is hard to say if you should go there or somewhere else.

I hope you enjoyed my totally useless post when it comes to your actual question. Haven't been in that school so I have no idea if it helps you or not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1