4 Replies - 15904 Views - Last Post: 19 March 2010 - 11:56 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

C Compiler for Windows 7 x64

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:06 AM

I've got windows home basic 64 bit OS. So, could anybody please help me which compiler I must use to run my C programs......

Waiting for the feedback....
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C Compiler for Windows 7 x64

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C Compiler for Windows 7 x64

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:10 AM

I highly recommend you Pelles C. Get it from here: http://www.smorgasbo...llesc/index.htm
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:03 AM

+1 on the Pelles C

You can also use the C++ compilers to compiler c programs, so you have Visual Studio, and MinGW64 as well.

What I did at first was download the windows platform SDK and it has cl.exe for x86 64 and IA64... but when I moved to windows 7 I just download the VS2010 RC and it can do it all :) (and comes with the patform sdk to boot).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:45 AM

I dont recomend VS2010 or any VS since it creates a dependency to .dll only contained by windows, the dll necessary for 2008 came with 7, but the one in 2010 is only installed once you install VS2010, so if you compile something on VS 2008 and want to run it in XP, youll need to distribute the executable wich installs those particular dlls, and forget about any other OSes... back to the question i recomend you use Code::Blocks as an IDE wich comes with Mingw pre-insalled or you like more control over your projects + Makefiles with any compiler try Netbeans the GUI looks much better although you need to create a project to run a single C file... (what a bother :D)

http://www.codeblocks.org/

http://netbeans.org/

Yes i do realize these are IDEs not actual compilers...

This post has been edited by xympa: 19 March 2010 - 11:56 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:56 AM

I dont recomend VS2010 or any VS since it creates a dependency to .dll only contained by windows, the dll necessary for 2008 came with 7, but the one in 2010 is only installed once you install VS2010

See that is why so many bitter programmers have T-shirts that say RTFM. the dependency's on dlls are only if you link it that way. I routinly run programs from my PC compiled with VS2010 on my laptop and on VMs that don't have any VS2010 dependencies! RTFM! Then you will not have problems like this.

Then there is the fact that both of the links you gave are for IDE's not compilers. Do you know the difference or is that another manual you did not read? Did you know that MinGW (the compiler used by the above) can also compile so that you require a runtime dependencies that your users may not have?

(sorry I am so bitter here, but really you are giving very poor advice and it kind of ticked me off a bit (because I recommended VS and you said that was bad, and I was all like, "no it ain't" but your post was like, "yea, it is", and I was all all like, "I never have any troubles", and your post was like, "well did you check to see if you had installed the dependencies on your laptop?", and I was like, "well... IDK, let me try it out"... so like it work wonderfully the way I expected it to so I was all like, "SEE WTF, VS2010 does not require any the run time dependencies unless you want them to" -- so thats were the bitterness comes from. Your posts is just uninformed).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1