Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 2946 Views - Last Post: 21 March 2010 - 12:44 PM

• En man från Sverige!

• View blog

[Guide] How to make a forum thread

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

POPULAR

<NOTE TO MODS>
I wasn't sure where this thread could make the best impact or fit so I put it here, if there is a better place move it! Don't be mad at me!
</NOTE TO MODS>

This thread will guide you in the enormous endeavour you now have undertaken. How do I make a forum thread?
I made another thread about a similar subject "I can do your homework!" but this thread is for anyone that doesn't know
how to make a good thread on any subject (mainly coding because this is a development forum). But the same apply on
any subject even if it's cooking! You need to describe your problem so people can help you. Anyway lets get started:

A thread is dived into two sometimes three or more parts. But here on DreamInCode it's four parts, not all four
parts are needed to make a thread though.

The first part is the Topic Title
This part describe in a SHORT sentence what your problem is, preferably just a few words.
A good topic is made this way:

example: “Problem With Linked Lists” or "Need Help To Understand [...]" or "Linked Lists"

The last example would require some more information this can be provided in short in the Topic description.
This way the users on the forum will know what you need help with. If they have a good understanding of the problem
they might click the on the thread, read it and if they can help you.

A bad topic is made this way:

example: "HELP!" or "HELP ME PLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Now you might say: OMG THIS ISN'T A BAD TOPIC N00B!

Yes it is, the reader(s) will not know what you have problem with before reading the thread. You are wasting peoples
time and many users of forums won't even click and read it. This is because you made the impression that you do not
want to do what's required of you yourself. You might think

"So what if I waste time I need help! HELP ME FFS! I do not wana code this they can do it!"

This forum is a great forum IF you use it CORRECTLY. Help the reader(s) help you by making it clear what your
problem is with a few words.

The second part is the Topic description
This part can be used to specify more information in a short way. Lets use the example from a good topic.
"Linked Lists" this is the topic and the description could then be made this way:

example: "How do I use them in a class?" or "I wish to know what the are used for"

This two are good descriptions of the problem you are facing. Bad ways of using the topic description is to
try and paste your entire thread in there. This is not what a description stands for. In this context a description
is a short sentence of the problem. This also help the users to see what the problem is and if they can help they
will. It can be frustrating to post a thread and see 100 views with 0 replies. This is because the reader maybe
doesn't understand the problem, you use a bad topic and description or they where just curious in what you wrote.
Again help the reader help you.

The third part is the text
This is where you post your problem do NOT post just code without any sort of text that tell the
reader the problem.
A example of a BAD text body:

----- Text body starts -------
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
	cout < "Hello wordl!";
}

----- Text body ends -------

This is a short example so here it's easy to see a '<' is missing but what if the you post a code snippet
with 100 rows and doesn't show any errors or even left out what the problem is. No one here is a living
compiler and people probably won't launch their IDE(s) and compile to see what the error(s) are.
A example of a GOOD text body:

----- Text body starts -------
When I try too compile my code I get these error(s):

[quote]In function `int main()':
error: no match for 'operator<' in 'std::cout < "Hello wordl!"'
note: candidates are: operator<(const char*, const char*) <built-in>
note: operator<(void*, void*) <built-in>
=== Build finished: 1 errors, 0 warnings ===[/qoute]

I do not understand what is wrong anyone that can help me?
Here is my code:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()
{
	cout < "Hello wordl!";
}

----- Text body ends -------

This is a WAY better way to make a text body. Here the reader(s) clearly can read what you have problem(s)
with, they can read the actual error(s) and see the source code. Another bad practise is to only post parts of
your code, from time to time the code that isn't available for the reader(s) will mess things up even if the code
you provided now has been corrected by YOU. If you are asking for a solution it's bad practise and you will
not learn, you will probably only copy&paste the working code not knowing what is changed or why it is this way.
Of course the reader(s) are allowed to post a solution if the problem is easy. Like above here they can post the
correct source code and point out that you need two(2) << and not only one(1).

The fourth part is the attachments
This can be used to post one or more text files or pictures if you wish to show a snapshot or make it easy to get
all the code if it's a lot and it's spread out in the text body. The snapshot can be the result of your compilation.
You might be working on a 3D game everything works but when your application is started the players head is 10 times
bigger then the body. You don't know why, the code is correct etc. Now the reader(s) that doesn't have every file
available can see the result and might give you a hint on what could be wrong.

See this isn't so hard. All you need to do is provide a good topic, a good text-body and if you want to a good
description and maybe even a file for the readers to check. Now you are ready to face the "Create Topic Monster"
and you will win! May the fork be with you, now and always!

[ Communication closed... ]

This thread might be edited later if needed to clarify something

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by FrozenSnake: 19 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 5
  • +

Replies To: [Guide] How to make a forum thread

• CEO of GeekTelligence
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [Guide] How to make a forum thread

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:09 AM