3 Replies - 1486 Views - Last Post: 21 March 2010 - 06:54 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Why do you like coding on your particular platform

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:34 PM

What are some of the features and design motifs that you enjoy on the platform you code on?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Why do you like coding on your particular platform

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why do you like coding on your particular platform

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:53 PM

Personally, I like C# language and the .NET framework. They are for the most part Microsoft only technologies. There are attempts to port them to other systems, like Mono for Linux, but for the full .NET experience you are pretty much stuck with Microsoft. I like C# even more because of the XNA framework for creating games. You don't have to use C# with XNA, you can create games with VB.NET and probably C++/CLI as well though I don't know of anybody who has tried the later. Since they are all .NET languages you should be able to.

Think I will move this to the Corner Cubicle as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:54 AM

I like coding on the JVM because it's one of the most popular and state-of-the-art platforms around. Nearly all of my favorite languages are either built for the JVM, or have an implementation on it. One of most important reasons is the number of libraries written in a JVM language. Mature, stable libraries that have been around for a while such as JavaMail and Pircbot. If you choose a JVM language, you can be certain that you wont be lacking in libraries.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:54 AM

I've also been one to favor C#. Can't really say why, other then it just feels right.

I will definately give XNA a shot at some point, but for now, I'm really impressed with WPF/Silverlight. It's the first time I've seen anyone really take a serious look at UI design :^:, going so far as to have an entire application (Expression Blend) dedicated just to the UI. And the routed event system presents some interesting possibilities.

It's still in it's infancy, so I'll be waiting atleast until .Net 4.0 before doing any real-world stuff with it.

This post has been edited by Tsunami14: 21 March 2010 - 07:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1