2 Replies - 1499 Views - Last Post: 21 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

#1 Guest_Don*

PHP vs ASP for financial app?

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:48 AM

First, let me admit ... I'm a designer, not a programmer. I've been talking with a client who's working on a project that deals with financial / sensitive data. What are the comparisons on security, scalability, development costs, etc. between proceeding with asp vs. php? He's leaning toward asp.

The initial project is fairly simple:
  • This is basically a "request for proposal" online app
  • CSV import functionality (30 fields)
  • Search functionality on multiple fields
  • Based on this data, the user will respond with a proposal: another dataset (20 fields)
  • Primarily numeric data fields, but also personal info
  • This proposal will need to be anonymously transmitted to initial requester
  • Security is very important

Any thoughts? I'd like to know before suggesting who he hires to code.

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: PHP vs ASP for financial app?

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: PHP vs ASP for financial app?

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:51 AM

It's irrelevant, more down to what the developer is capable of.

The language is only as safe as the code that's written for it. But assuming you mean "Classic ASP" vs "PHP", PHP all the way. If you mean ASP.NET, like I say, it's all down to the developer.

PHP (from experience) has always yielded much less development costs, and is easier to be secure, but that's because I "do" it and know exactly how to. A novice developer shouldn't be writing a security-concerned financial application...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: PHP vs ASP for financial app?

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

At the server language level, it doesn't really matter. You can do the same things with each language. It's debatable as to which would offer faster development, since that's more a function of familiarity with the given tool.

Most of the work for such an application is never seen. You need a database. You need some kind of code layer to update and retrieve data from that database. As well as all the business logic. The web pages the users talk to are but a small part of that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1