• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 4663 Views - Last Post: 05 May 2010 - 10:16 AM

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Changes In The Lounge: Reputation & Heated Topics

Post icon  Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

For the time being, we've disabled reputation in the Caffeine Lounge and the Games/Puzzles/Trivia/Jokes forum. We've also combined the Heated Topics forum with the Caffeine Lounge to try to bring some decent topics back in to the lounge.

Reputation in the lounge will remain disabled for now, but we may add it back at a later date. And if the heated topics become a problem again, we'll move them back in to their own forum, but for now... we're gonna try these changes out.

So hop in to the lounge and post without fear of down-voting!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: Changes In The Lounge: Reputation & Heated Topics

• CEO of GeekTelligence
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Changes In The Lounge: Reputation & Heated Topics

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:22 PM

I think these changes could be VERY VERY popular.?.. :genius: :genius:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:20 PM

so what your trying to say is the idea that i proposed with the new site's launch is now being implemented just at the time that i am getting comfortable with it?

your not getting any from me tonight mister.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:28 PM

I see no point in this, because one could potentially untruthfully as it may go to another forum and down vote someone who they disagree with; dishonest, very much so, but this could still happen. Is this around about way to down vote someone? Yes! But, what is stopping this from happening? I see no point in stopping it in the caffeine lounge if there is an alternate way of down voting someone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

But you really have to ask yourself, are they going to go find another post by that member JUST to vote them down? It'd be a tedious task.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

@coden4fun: The only time that I've felt that a member has downvoted me out of spite was when I told them that I'd be happy to help if they showed some effort. I didn't get the down-vote until something like a week or so after the thread had disappeared, so someone really held a grudge (or just didn't log on for a week). And of course, in the scheme of things, it didn't affect my rep. But really, if you're going to post an opinion, man up and take the flack that comes with it. If a member abuses the rep system against you, report them. Simple as that. I'd honestly prefer to have fun in the lounge than worry about people posting or not posting because of a little number under their names that honestly doesn't have any benefits associated with it, like Dream Kudos does with DIC++ accounts.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:41 PM

View Postcoden4fun, on 22 March 2010 - 03:28 PM, said:

I see no point in this, because one could potentially untruthfully as it may go to another forum and down vote someone who they disagree with; dishonest, very much so, but this could still happen. Is this around about way to down vote someone? Yes! But, what is stopping this from happening? I see no point in stopping it in the caffeine lounge if there is an alternate way of down voting someone.

:whistling: Down voting is working well in other parts of the site. If you suspect someone of abusing the system, use the "Report" button on their profile and alert moderators. If we agree, they will be placed in a "Rep Abuser" member group and be unable to down vote anyone.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 22 March 2010 - 04:37 PM, said:

@coden4fun: The only time that I've felt that a member has downvoted me out of spite was when I told them that I'd be happy to help if they showed some effort. I didn't get the down-vote until something like a week or so after the thread had disappeared, so someone really held a grudge (or just didn't log on for a week). And of course, in the scheme of things, it didn't affect my rep. But really, if you're going to post an opinion, man up and take the flack that comes with it. If a member abuses the rep system against you, report them. Simple as that. I'd honestly prefer to have fun in the lounge than worry about people posting or not posting because of a little number under their names that honestly doesn't have any benefits associated with it, like Dream Kudos does with DIC++ accounts.

Agreed :^:

I was just stating there is still that possibility. A bad rep for me wouldn't bother me none, for more important than my rep to this site is the fact that I have a job, which I got from this site, and I have maintained that job. And, I will continue to write free tutorials and code snippets as long as I can.

View PostLocke, on 22 March 2010 - 04:24 PM, said:

But you really have to ask yourself, are they going to go find another post by that member JUST to vote them down? It'd be a tedious task.

Using the search engine, and if they held a grudge this would be a very simple task.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:38 AM

View Postcoden4fun, on 23 March 2010 - 02:07 AM, said:

Using the search engine, and if they held a grudge this would be a very simple task.

This is why there is a down voting limit per day and a report feature.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

View Postcoden4fun, on 22 March 2010 - 04:28 PM, said:

You can tell if you're dragging aggro by using your reputation history and it can be taken care of.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:49 PM

i need a program which prints first 50 prime numbers in five lines plz send me
Was This Post Helpful? -8
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:19 PM

No. You are first- in the wrong forum, sa this is the News forum, not programming help; and second, asking us to break rule #1 which talks about our not doing users' homework policy. Show some effort in the appropriate forum and we will be happy to help you debug code YOU wrote.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:38 AM

View Postadeelilyas, on 17 April 2010 - 03:49 AM, said:

i need a program which prints first 50 prime numbers in five lines plz send me

Dear adeelilyas, This program is a secret and is not provided to everyone. Please make sure you have a lot of disk space that can hold this program and enough bandwidth to download the same. Send us your email ID so that we ppl can send it right across to you. our team has been working on it from the last quarter and it is now readty to be send to you. :2guns:
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

Dear adeelilyas, This program is a secret and is not provided to everyone. Please make sure you have a lot of disk space that can hold this program and enough bandwidth to download the same. Send us your email ID so that we ppl can send it right across to you. our team has been working on it from the last quarter and it is now readty to be send to you. :2guns:

I laughed so hard snot came out of my nose :D:D:D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:09 PM

Keep it up guys, I like the change.

It only makes sense really.

This post has been edited by FreezingHazard: 01 May 2010 - 08:09 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0