2 Replies - 2109 Views - Last Post: 26 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Computer science vs computer engineering

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

I'm a 30 year old guy strongly considering going back to school. I know I want my focus to be either computer programming or computer engineering. I understand fantly the differences between to the 2 majors but I need more detail. Like ok I hear that computer engineering is more hardware focused, ok but does that mean the cirrculum will exclude higher level languages like java and C++? does CE courses just focus on assembly languages? Personally what i want is the hardware capability that computer engineering gives you with a strong knowledge of programming languages and programing in general. So I guest my main question is how indepth is the computer programming in the Computer Engineering corriculum?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Computer science vs computer engineering

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Computer science vs computer engineering

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:29 PM

It really depends on the school that you would attend. At Alabama A&M University, I majored in computer science but I had many classes with computer engineering majors. Their curriculum was very close to the EE majors but their programming focus was also C++ along with Assembly and FORTRAN. I have looked at other schools' curriculum like UAB and the focus is more design oriented than focusing on programming. However, I do believe CE focuses more on embedded programming than software programming. Either way, you will have to do like all of us CS or CE majors do which is learn more outside the classroom than you would inside the classroom. Good luck and keep us posted on what you discover.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Computer science vs computer engineering

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

I go to UH, used to be a Computer Engineering major, but switched to Computer Science. Computer Engineering had the more physics based classes, more calculus, and more electronics classes. We still learned C++ and Java, but it's more of a crash course because you don't take all the "intro to programming" classes from Computer Science. And like the other guy said, there are a lot of courses that the two degrees share. A lot of the math classes are the same, the software engineering and advanced programming are the same ( like data structures, database, architecture/hardware type classes). If you go with Computer Science, you get a lot of the more abstract computing classes at the end and in the first two years you get a lot more programming.

Hope this helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1