sorry if this post is in the wrong place

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 565 Views - Last Post: 23 March 2010 - 12:28 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

what category of domain name to choose

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:32 AM

Hi

not entirely sure what forum to place this in so I hope I've got it right. Basically I'm looking to buy a domain name for my dad. He is looking to advertise his website on leaflets and see what his response is before investing much money in this business. It's going to be holistic therapy that he is offering. As he doesn't know what the response will be and how much custom he will get initially he is looking to spend as little as possible until he knows the business will be viable.

This leaves me with a dilemma, I'm new to web hosting/domains etc. I noticed that there are two categories for domain names that I could use - uk individual representing self or uk sole trader. The problem with the uk individual representing self as as far as I can tell this is where no money will be made but he is not set up as self employed.

If I selected the sole trader might this get him into any issues with self employment etc?

Sorry if this is a bit vague, just need to know what option to select to keep my dad and I right. If anyone has any experience of this type of situation before or any advise I would be grateful.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: what category of domain name to choose

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: what category of domain name to choose

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:44 AM

I'm not in the UK we would use .com for this purpose or maybe even a .net; If those options are not available then from your description you would be more suited for the sole trader (Which sounds as if it is similar to a sole proprietor in the US equivalent.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:25 AM

hi

thanks for the reply, sorry i should really have said I'm in the UK. Yeah that sounds very similar to the sole prorietor, just didnt want him getting into any trouble!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:28 PM

This question sounds as though it's more about UK taxation policy than actual domain names. "Individual representing self" and "sole trader" aren't terms I'm (American) even familiar with insofar as purchasing and hosting a domain name goes.

In the U.S., pretty much anyone can purchase a domain name and park it at a hosting site regardless of whether they're an individual or a corporation. In either event, there are lots of sites that will help you purchase and establish your domain name and then host it for you. GoDaddy, for instance, is a popular such service here and their prices are exceptionally affordable for what they offer.

Good luck!

This post has been edited by Craig328: 23 March 2010 - 12:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1