Week 4: 105 Replies
Week 5: 34 Replies
Week 6: 54 Replies
Week 7: 21 Replies
Week 8: 73 Replies
Week 9: 14 Replies <- This is where it really died
Week 10: 47 Replies
Week 11: 17 Replies
Week 12: 8 Replies <- Sad (Still two more days left though)

52WOC is dying a slow and painful death, and there are still 40 weeks to go. Too bad.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 52WOC == Dead

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 52WOC == Dead

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

Different languages are more/less popular than others, and we market each week differently. We'll have high/low weeks through out. And naturally, the kick off of an event is usually the best time.

We haven't sent a newsletter this month due to technical issues either, so haven't announced it to the masses yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (cons :dic :head)

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:13 PM

There seems to be a lot of "Hey, I should do this challenge", then the week passes by and they never actually do it. Most of the replies on the recent weeks are just that. Enthusiasm is going down.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:28 PM

I'm with Chris on this one. Depends on the language and the particular challenge. You also have to consider many of us have jobs and/or families. There are several that I fully intend to do, I just don't have time to get to them until next month.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:32 PM

i guess chris could go back on the original intent of being diverse in language choice and challenge difficulty in order to be boring enough that people always reply. PICK YOUR POISON.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:47 PM

I fall in the jobs/family category. As there have many many challenges already that capture my interest time has not been good to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:17 PM

i am with Nykc i want to try all of them but just dont have the time right now :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:21 PM

Another no time camper here. So much to do, so little time to do it in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

I find it quite hilarious that "we all don't have time", yet we spend hours on this forum talking about the lack of time we don't have, and discussing meaningless topics in the lounge. If that is the case instead of being on the forum as frequently turn that time in half and download the compilers, and write a "Hello World", a menu, or simply a calculator.

My response to all of this honestly, Is I said I would do JQuery, and I have, but it's not yet to the point of where I'd like to present it. And, I'm incorporating what I have made in my enterprise website I'm currently working on. I've also taken the time to go to jquery.com and search for various Plugins, UI, just to see how they work, and how they can help me manage, and finish a job much quicker if I had gone another route.

Do we really not have the time, or is it pure laziness? If we really don't have the time use your job hours to do this. That's what I do, of course, only on few languages, which have been migrated and used with the frameworks I use, but still ultimately it is the willingness and effort that we tried that count.

This post has been edited by coden4fun: 25 March 2010 - 06:10 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:25 PM

View Postcoden4fun, on 25 March 2010 - 07:08 PM, said:

I find it quite hilarious that "we all don't have time", yet we spend hours on this forum talking about the lack of time we don't have, and discussing meaningless topics in the lounge.

This just in...it takes a lot less brain power and time to discuss meaningless topics than to commit to a recreational project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:31 PM

I find it quite hilarious that "we all don't have time", yet we spend hours on this forum talking about the lack of time we don't have

Speak for yourself. I signed onto Facebook for the 1st time this week, & I've only been on here at night.

I believe finals are on right now? Or is it the spring break? Either way I believe that college kids are unavailable for 'extra' programming assignments right now.

View PostLocke, on 25 March 2010 - 07:25 PM, said:

it takes a lot less brain power and time to discuss meaningless topics than to commit to a recreational project.

I believe his name was Computer Fox, but he doesn't post here any more :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

pwnage! yummy!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:59 PM

View PostLocke, on 25 March 2010 - 05:25 PM, said:

I find it quite hilarious that "we all don't have time", yet we spend hours on this forum talking about the lack of time we don't have, and discussing meaningless topics in the lounge.

This just in...it takes a lot less brain power and time to discuss meaningless topics than to commit to a recreational project.

This just in... You're insulting your own intelligence. DIC isn't asking to solve some math problem that has been unsolved for 100+ years just the ATTEMPT to start a new language. Also, does it take less time to reply to a post? Yes, but add up all the post you would do in an entire day, and you can calculate how much time you're wasting.

This post has been edited by coden4fun: 25 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:33 PM

I've not been participating in them for two reasons: I've recently undertaken a few new projects and I'm learning new, interesting things in my own time, and I can't help but find some of the challenges infinitely boring. But that's just me (and programble, it appears). When I think of "broaden your horizons", Java, JavaME, and Google Maps do not come to mind.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Darken the Radar

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

Ya I'll add it to the list of things I don't have time for. I think for me though it's more lack of interest, I know what the languages are and recognize the syntax's but I don't actually feel the need to learn (or even test a new language). I've chosen my languages and they haven't failed me for last number of years I feel no need to change.

On a side note though, just because the replies aren't there isn't conclusive evidence that people aren't doing them. I did a Java challenge awhile back but I didn't post the results (it did get me back into Java though). So these challenges are definitely having an impact. I think you should consider posting a few challenges from some of the long forgotten/less practiced languages (c'mon who remembers FORTRAN?).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »