• +
  • Last »

114 Replies - 4197 Views - Last Post: 31 March 2010 - 11:03 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 52WOC == Dead

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

I don't think encouraging use of long-obsolete technologies is going to help things. :\
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:48 PM

View Postcoden4fun, on 25 March 2010 - 07:59 PM, said:

This just in... You're insulting your own intelligence. DIC isn't asking to solve some math problem that has been unsolved for 100+ years just the ATTEMPT to start a new language. Also, does it take less time to reply to a post? Yes, but add up all the post you would do in an entire day, and you can calculate how much time you're wasting.

Now you're insulting your own intelligence by telling me that I'm insulting mine...I intentionally leave out specific details, so that I'm NOT wrong. The posting varies from member to member. Some members DON'T have the time, and it reflects in there posting frequency.

And second...quote me where I said that the WoC projects have been incredibly difficult and never been solved before.

Plus, rates at which people learn also affect this. For instance, I learn APIs very slowly. Which is why the .NET Framework is absolute hell on me sometimes. Don't know why I have the horrible memory for 'em, but I do. I haven't attempted a challenge yet, because it would take so much time to actually learn something useful, other than a simple calculator, as that doesn't normally reflect any significant power of a language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:57 PM

@coden4fun, you from home correct? Not all of us have that freedom. Most of us get on here during free time at work or home but that doesnt mean we're not doing something while overlooking new topics and making a useless reply to it.

However since 52 Weeks of Code was started to allow people who otherwise might not even every try out a language to actually try it you're overlooking some things. To start to create something in a new language you've never used, you have to learn something about it: syntax, designing something and implementing it to something usable. Its not always that easy to be able to devote a certain amount of time to do that for DIC.

I dont know if this post makes any sense. It made sense in my head but after going through reading it I may have went off the path I had intended to travel down. Im tired though so, yea.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:08 PM

One thing I'll point out in 52WoC's defense is that there is no deadline. A lot of people seem to think that you're expected to complete a challenge within a week, but you aren't. The weekly part is just that there is a new challenge released every week. You can do the challenges whenever, but the most activity will be during the first week.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:31 PM

View Postprogramble, on 25 March 2010 - 03:13 PM, said:

There seems to be a lot of "Hey, I should do this challenge", then the week passes by and they never actually do it.

ME.

View PostRaynes, on 25 March 2010 - 09:08 PM, said:

One thing I'll point out in 52WoC's defense is that there is no deadline. A lot of people seem to think that you're expected to complete a challenge within a week, but you aren't. The weekly part is just that there is a new challenge released every week. You can do the challenges whenever, but the most activity will be during the first week.

did not know. i should read more. thx buddy now i might enter
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

i like to do things! i want all other people to do this thing too! grrrrr! your excuses are not good enough!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• HAL9000 was an Apple product
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:38 PM

View Postcoden4fun, on 26 March 2010 - 12:59 AM, said:

View PostLocke, on 25 March 2010 - 05:25 PM, said:

View Postcoden4fun, on 25 March 2010 - 07:08 PM, said:

I find it quite hilarious that "we all don't have time", yet we spend hours on this forum talking about the lack of time we don't have, and discussing meaningless topics in the lounge.

This just in...it takes a lot less brain power and time to discuss meaningless topics than to commit to a recreational project.

This just in... You're insulting your own intelligence. DIC isn't asking to solve some math problem that has been unsolved for 100+ years just the ATTEMPT to start a new language. Also, does it take less time to reply to a post? Yes, but add up all the post you would do in an entire day, and you can calculate how much time you're wasting.

I think the primary reason is not the time required, but the requirement in brainpower. Locke is absolutely correct. While more often than not I technically have the time, I don't feel like adding the stress of learning new APIs and languages on top of all the other crap I have to deal with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:13 AM

I, admittedly, spend huge amounts of time on DIC... but newsflash, Coden, I'm usually doing something else at the time. When I'm at work, I keep DIC open in one window while coding in another - coding shit for work, not the forums. When my files are uploading or downloading (which I do quite frequently), I'll post to DIC. The new work site launches next week. I'm in the middle of teaching a class. There is a Department of Education audit going on right now. I was asked to sit-in on two days worth of Student Conduct Board hearings. And I have three entire days earmarked for interviews of the College's new Presidential hopefuls.

When I come home at night, I usually have DIC open in a window. That window - 80% of the time - is minimized to the bottom of the screen. I might pull it up to see if there's anything new, but my evenings are spent making dinner, spending time with my children, cleaning my house, helping with homework, sorting laundry and - more often than not as of late - working on work that I brought home from work.

And when I DO have official free-time, I want to go somewhere or do something out of my house, out of my office and away from the computer (OMFG! Sometimes... I even go OUTSIDE *gasp*).

What right do you have to tell me what I do and do not have time for? When was the last time you lived my life? You're such a pompous little freakshow. If I could spit on you from here, I would.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:31 AM

Some of these challenges look quite interesting, and I would love to have the time to sit and do them, especially the ones that will improve my .NET skills, but I'm one of those who only really gets on here during the day at work, posting between doing whatever I'm meant to be doing. At home, I have a pile of uni work to do, so there is no chance. Maybe one day I'll have time...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• THE PEN IS MIGHTIER
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:46 AM

I'm still on week #2: XNA. I started messing with it and got hooked.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your worst nightmare
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:33 AM

Well, here's my excuse for not doing WoC, I don't have a computer at home, for the moment, to work on a project. I hope to get on here in the next couple weeks, but I to have a family/life, and not sure how well I'll be able to participate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:22 AM

View PostSkaggles, on 26 March 2010 - 05:46 AM, said:

I'm still on week #2: XNA. I started messing with it and got hooked.

Same here, but quite a while ago for me. Started with XNA 2.0 and was absolutely hooked.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:21 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 26 March 2010 - 04:13 AM, said:

(OMFG! Sometimes... I even go OUTSIDE *gasp*).

LIES!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 26 March 2010 - 01:13 AM, said:

(OMFG! Sometimes... I even go OUTSIDE *gasp*).

Pics or it's a lie!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:20 PM

I think I'm in the "I've sorta lost my lust for programming atm" catagory. :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +