10 Replies - 4710 Views - Last Post: 31 March 2010 - 02:34 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Can you be too old to get into programming?

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:48 AM

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't quite sure where to put this as it wasn't quite academic (Student Campus) nor professional (Corner Cubicle).

But nonetheless, I hear lots of talk around here and elsewhere of the best people in this field having been deep into programming since they were kids or that being a game dev pretty much requires that sort of background. I'm not interested in being a game dev necessarily but I would like to think there isn't a ceiling on my potential prowess. I discovered a love for this a little late, midway through my college education, and I'm worried about being able to compete with people who've been doing this for years already. What are your opinions on this? Can you be too old to get started?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Can you be too old to get into programming?

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can you be too old to get into programming?

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:51 AM

Anyone can be a programmer, the problem is with the people who hire other people.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:53 AM

** Moved to Corner Cubicle **

Interesting question. I don't think anyone can be too old, as long as they understand what they are doing, I don't see why not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:02 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 28 March 2010 - 12:53 AM, said:

** Moved to Corner Cubicle **

Interesting question. I don't think anyone can be too old, as long as they understand what they are doing, I don't see why not.

Ah sorry about that, after I posted this I realized I probably should have put it there instead.

But perhaps someone might understand what they're doing but would they be at a disadvantage for trying to gain that understanding while someone could be wielding it deftly much longer than them? Could they only hope to be oh so good in comparison due to the nature of the knowledge this field requires?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:30 AM

There is a difference between can & should.

You asked for "can". Long shot? Yes. Should? Depends on the individual. We all have dreams.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:20 AM

You can never be too old to start any intellectual activity. However, do not expect to become as good as somebody who has been doing it since their early years, since that's exactly the time when people develop most of their intellectual abilities. This is precisely why G. H. Hardy called mathematics a "young man's game" and why, like you said, the best people in the field were doing programming (or math) since they were kids.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:34 AM

View PostWolfCoder, on 28 March 2010 - 01:51 AM, said:

Anyone can be a programmer, the problem is with the people who hire other people.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:27 AM

You can never be too old, though, programming languages are still just languages, so it's better to learn them while you're young methinks. When you're young, your mind is like a sponge, so you learn more and pick up on languages better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:18 PM

Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

Yes, they tested it on mythbusters.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:23 AM

View Postslickhare, on 28 March 2010 - 12:48 AM, said:

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't quite sure where to put this as it wasn't quite academic (Student Campus) nor professional (Corner Cubicle).

But nonetheless, I hear lots of talk around here and elsewhere of the best people in this field having been deep into programming since they were kids or that being a game dev pretty much requires that sort of background. I'm not interested in being a game dev necessarily but I would like to think there isn't a ceiling on my potential prowess. I discovered a love for this a little late, midway through my college education, and I'm worried about being able to compete with people who've been doing this for years already. What are your opinions on this? Can you be too old to get started?

The question is not how old but how "interested" you are. Looking at those people who've been programming for a long time and are now good at it, I see one one common characteristic they all share: INTEREST. Interest is what helped them "stick to it" all these years. And by sticking to it they familiarized themselves with it and then got "good" at it.

Interest will drive you to know more, do more, and learn more thereby making you "good". So since you've discovered a love for programming, let your passion control you to want to know more and before you know it, you'll find yourself in familiar terrain as those "good" programmers you know(with time and hard work, though).
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:34 PM

*reads title* No, you're never too old. If you want to do it, do it, just don't half-ass it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1