6 Replies - 851 Views - Last Post: 30 March 2010 - 06:12 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What do you think of..

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:57 AM

What do you think of my site. Thanks for your comments.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What do you think of..

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What do you think of..

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:59 AM

js.js contains a Trojan. Detected with Avast ... sorry!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:21 AM

OK thanks - now fixed - so much for Norton 360.

So what about now?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:48 AM

A very simple design. The first thing I noticed was that the green border on the grey background was too much for my eyes. Also the menu hover we can go without; also a little too much for my eyes to handle.

I feel that the top of the page is too empty. It almost needs a menu. In my personal experience, the menu/navigation needs to be on the top or left and possibly the right if done correctly. If you do not go with the navigation on the top, then you need something on top for the viewer to see. It is just too empty.

I think it would also look a little better it the content was larger and was to the left of the apple.
It looks really good in my head imagining the text like that. I will also give the effect of more content because it will look a little longer.

Also maybe moving the logo to the left and letting the apple move up would help the design a little.

Not real fond of the border around the content but it might look okay next to the apple.

I would also look into making the page go all the way to the bottom of the browser window. Maybe setting the height to 100%. It would give it more space too which you might need around the menu area.

But, on a good note, I do happen to like the apple as kind of a mascot. It's simple and something everyone knows. It shows a kind of professionalism in my mind. :rockon:
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:24 AM

Borders are for the most part used to help people that aren't confident about the content portrayed inside, even if it wasn't your intention that idea remains.

Center the content of the page, right align is a bad idea due to standard readers using left-right reading.

Ditch Candara in favor of Verdana or Arial. The font doesn't work well at that size and isn't web-optimized. It's best to stick to the following fonts unless you know about typography:

• Times New Roman
  • Verdana
  • Arial
  • Georgia
  • Courier
  • Courier New

The color on the mouseover is obnoxiously saturated, avoid lime, it's far far too strong to be used like that.

Lineheight is inadequate, it needs to be at least 2x the standard font size. *{font:12px/24px #000;}
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:39 AM

Lemur and jrm402 - thanks guys. I'll think about what you've said and change accordingly.

Very simple design is what I'm going for - open, clear and cool, fresh like the apple. Lots of space, but still with menu links to the rest of the site. Menu is at bottom so user will scan down looking for it - they'll start at top so look at everything.

Is right-aligned so its different. But screen reader point is good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:12 AM

Right align should only be used for Japanese or Asian sites, not english.

Bad idea on the menu, inconvenience only drives users away. They want content and they want it accessible and easy to find. You have 5 seconds to make an impression, don't kill it with that type of technique.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1