Week #13 Challenge: Graphic Challenge!

Get Creative!

• (4 Pages)
  • +

51 Replies - 25005 Views - Last Post: 25 May 2010 - 09:37 PM

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Week #13 Challenge: Graphic Challenge!

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:05 AM

Hmm, I do some type of graphic design every day... great challenge but I wonder what I should submit? Maybe a website? Or the game engine I am working on (never done much with games and it is such a great way to learn, so am extending on SixOfEleven's tutorials!).

Also, there is a tiny bit of time before this month's SOTM finishes... so perhaps you could enter for this?!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:30 PM

Posted Image

I did this for a friend in inkscape. Took about 20 minutes...nothing fancy.

Posted Image
I did this in the MS Expression Design. Took a couple of hours. I was following a tutorial on making a coffee cup in gimp. Adapted to my desires.

I have no artistic talent :'(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:20 PM

Posted Image

I was gonna go with an abstract piece. But decided to do this instead. I kinda like how it turned out.

Anyway, done in Gimp. Took like an hour or so.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

Wow, been a wile since I made my user bars, I couldn't even remember how to make the borders!
Anyway,

Posted Image

Took me a wile to make the XNA and C# ones because I couldn't remember how to do the stupid pattern save for the scanlines.

I like the looks of the inkScape stuff, since i'm out of school so much this week, I'll make some better images for the game I'm doing for school.

Edit: Got InkScape, A little bit of hit and miss for me, but the one thing I miss the most (or that I haven't found yet) is changing the canvas size.

This post has been edited by adgarci: 30 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:24 PM

View PostChoscura, on 30 March 2010 - 01:04 AM, said:

Posted Image

I could swear I saw this on a website somewhere... I wish I could find the bloody thing again. Pretty sure I came across it on one of those "inspirational web designs" blog entries.

edit, never mind, I found it... your just reminded me of it was all. 'sreally good, though! :)
Posted Image

This post has been edited by gabehabe: 31 March 2010 - 01:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:36 PM

Still considering this a work in progress. But it will stay here for now...

Old sig: Posted Image

New sig: Posted Image

Time is realistically about an hour. That does not include photo hunting; no idea how much surfing that took. I didn't want to loose my kitty, so I looked at a lot of pics of my favorite big kitty. The eye color actually reflected the type of palette found in mandelbrot sets. I'd been leaning toward some kind of fractal, so it worked pretty well.

The only tool was GIMP. The working image probably had about 20 layers. The final used six.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:52 PM

View PostNickDMax, on 29 March 2010 - 12:43 PM, said:

Week #13 Graphic Challenge

Posted Image

Brought to you by: </Dream.In.Code> Signature Of The Month Competition!

CHALLENGE:
Programmers spend much of their time with noses buried in lines of code but there are other aspects to program development! This week's challenge is to exercise your artistic side and explore the graphic design aspects of application, web, or game development!

IDEAS:
  • Design an Icon set for your favorite application.
  • Story Board User Interface for an Application or Web Site
  • Story Board An Opening Cut Sequence to a Game
  • Create a 2D Character
  • Create a 3D Character Model
  • Create a set of Textures/Tiles for a game map.
  • Create a Personal Logo, Avatar, or Banner for yourself or another member.
  • Create custom glyphs for a font based upon your favorite movie/game.
  • Doodle a page of charactertures of DIC members
  • Create some ASCII art: (`..`.><(((>

Whatever you do, try something new and/or challenging outside of your normal comfort zone. :)

And HAVE FUN!

FREE TOOLS TO GET STARTED:

WHERE TO GO FOR HELP:

DIC Graphic Design Forum.

WHAT TO DO WHEN YOUR DONE:
When you are done respond to this thread and attach what you have done (or a link) and tell us about the experiences.

What Tools did you use?
How long did it take?
What inspired you?

This is a desktop background for my web site.Attached Image I made it with Photoshop CS4. I also made an icon for applications I make.Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#23 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:03 AM

I made a new signature as well...

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:59 AM

Posted Image

Slightly cheating... but this is what I did for my final animation over the holidays...

I am however are doing a new (significantly smaller) one for this challenge...

All made in Lightwave 3d
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:54 AM

Well, after 4 days, this is the best I've made. I tried to recreate Space Invaders into a 3d World. I was going to do another type of alien to mix it up a bit, but that failed horribly, as well as my attempts to UVW map anything.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fuingurth: 02 April 2010 - 07:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:44 AM

I just played in illustrator for half an hour... not particularly good but very fun

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:32 PM

I am so Happy! I made my own font! Well to be honest I made 5 characters for a true type font. But as a Calligrapher this is something I have been wanting to do FOREVER. Font editors are so expensive and the one free one FontForge has never really worked out for me. Well today I used InkScape and this tutorial to create an SVG font which I then converted to a TTF using onlinefontconverter.com

I started with a scan of a pencil doodle I did at some point in the past (probably in school):
Attached Image

Then I used InkScape's "Trace Bitmap" feature to convert them into a vector format giving me:
Attached Image

Then I followed the tutorial and made a font out of the pictures!

Here is the finished font... it only had a, b, c, d, e defined and so the font converter added regular letters for the rest of the characters. Pretty lame I know, but I like it!

Attached File  Expressions1.zip (2.52K)
Number of downloads: 271

I took something that was a doodle on paper and converted it into a font... pretty neat in my book. I think I am really going to like InkScape!
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:43 AM

So I was looking though my old graphics files for some inspiration with my new toy Inkscape. I had been playing with the "Trace Bitmap" and created a neat icon from my brother's face (I figure he can use it for "my computer"). Anyway after that I ran across a folder full of old seamless tiling bitmaps I had created (I used them for those crazy 90's geocities web pages or for windows 95/98 desktops) and I wondered if they would still be "seamless tiles" after inkscape traced them...

The answer is no. But if you trace over a tiled set of them you can mask out a middle tile and TADA you have a seamless vector tile! (well nearly seamless -- I am sure you can actually edit it to be absolutely seamless but that seems like a lot of work...

Anyway here is my proof of concept piece. I started with a tessellation based tile:
Attached Image

Then I used GIMP to fill that onto an image 3x3 times. Then I imported that image into InkScape, selected it, and did a trace bitmap (using color, 16 scans). Then using the square tool I selected an area of the tile the same size as the original. Then selecting the square and the image under it, I choose to set the crop. That gave me a vector version of my tile that I can export at different sizes, rotate and just generally play with.

Here is a 64x64 version of the tile used:
Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:31 AM

View PostNickDMax, on 04 April 2010 - 02:43 AM, said:

So I was looking though my old graphics files for some inspiration with my new toy Inkscape. I had been playing with the "Trace Bitmap" and created a neat icon from my brother's face (I figure he can use it for "my computer"). Anyway after that I ran across a folder full of old seamless tiling bitmaps I had created (I used them for those crazy 90's geocities web pages or for windows 95/98 desktops) and I wondered if they would still be "seamless tiles" after inkscape traced them...

The answer is no. But if you trace over a tiled set of them you can mask out a middle tile and TADA you have a seamless vector tile! (well nearly seamless -- I am sure you can actually edit it to be absolutely seamless but that seems like a lot of work...

Anyway here is my proof of concept piece. I started with a tessellation based tile:
Attachment TESEL3S.JPG

Then I used GIMP to fill that onto an image 3x3 times. Then I imported that image into InkScape, selected it, and did a trace bitmap (using color, 16 scans). Then using the square tool I selected an area of the tile the same size as the original. Then selecting the square and the image under it, I choose to set the crop. That gave me a vector version of my tile that I can export at different sizes, rotate and just generally play with.

Here is a 64x64 version of the tile used:
Attachment NickDMaxWuz.png

That's cool if I still had Windows XP with my Photoshop CS4 I would so totally make something like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:40 AM

I found this little tutorial on how to make iPhone app icons using inkscape.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +