• (2 Pages)
  • +

24 Replies - 2213 Views - Last Post: 29 April 2010 - 04:35 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Website for my first client

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:04 AM

Here is the link to my first website for my first client (when I say client, I mean I took my lessons with him and did him a favour):

http://www.fullmarks...ingschool.co.uk

(insert a link in the WYSIWYG wasn't working so sorry if you have to copy + paste).

It is pure XHTML and CSS driven and I am pretty impressed with it myself. I have done some degree of SEO on it too.

Tell me what you think.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Website for my first client

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Website for my first client

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

Not too shabby. It's centered, the border doesn't look too bad between the grey and white, and you matched the logo to the site.

On the subject of the logo matching the site, yes you did a good job, but I think that the colors make the website look a little unprofessional. I do however like the rounded borders on the blue bar above the footer.

When I accidentally type something wrong in a form, hit submit, and then find out that I typed something in wrong and now have to go back a page, it really frustrates me. Try setting the action of the form to action="<?php $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>" and validating inside of that php file. That way you can highlight or at least point out what the user did wrong easier.

Also, your missing a couple of & character entities and the type attribute for your <style> tag (I clicked the validation links at the bottom :D)

Get your website up so you can get some viewers/potential clients!

:rockon:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CEO of GeekTelligence
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:39 AM

Very nice and clean website looks professional but as jrm402 said the colours do make it look slightly un professional, but apart from that I am very impressed it is amazing!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:44 AM

The website is very well done. It gets the point across, without trying to be fancy, without any clutter or garbage. Nice and simple, that's the way to do them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:19 PM

Thank you all for your feedback. What colours would you suggest?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

Well that's the thing is it matches the logo colors. It will not be easy to pick a new color scheme to match the pre-existing logo colors. It will look better to keep it as is.

Looking again, it does have a fun feel about it which might work too. Marketing is weird sometimes. :bananaman:
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

Nice, clean and sophisticated. I especially love the logo with the "L" plates. Great creativity.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Php Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:29 AM

Very Nice But then again i guess there is no big database involved just a nice template and a bit of php for the contact form which u can find on google

Real clean looking site tho :chinese:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:08 PM

Well I guess I get to be the first to give this a full on review then.

Banner

Drop shadow should not be easily visible, it's for the effect of making something stand out as opposed to bringing attention to itself. Lower the Opacity of the shadow and bring it in closer if not completely remove it.

A higher resolution car image would be beneficial to the feel of the site, especially if it were to be given some movement.

The three logos on the side are poor quality and need to be improved to bring out clarity of the site.

Navigation

All caps is almost never a good idea. It slows reading dramatically and is harder to immediately recognize by the eye. Lower case letters have a more distinct shape making them more effective in conveying the text than all caps or even small caps. Only title elements should consider caps and even then should be used with caution.

Main Content

The main content should have more padding from the sides of the container and utilize the line-height:2em CSS property which should be at least 2x the amount of spacing as the font size for readability. Think back to HS and College where teachers wanted you to use double spaced for your MS Word documents, it improves readability and it works in the same manner here.

Color

A little too plain for my tastes, not much really going on except for neutral grays, but take my word for it, you shouldn't be afraid to use color and experiment, just as long as you don't experiment to the point where it looks like it was mauled by a 1980's fashion magazine.

Slightly off topic, it's April, might want to get that portfolio site up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

The two L's being red confused me for a second, not sure if you want to change it. The big problem was your link to prices page also being red. You need to read up a bit on accessibility I think, blue is generally instantly recognizable as a link, all other colors are slower. You don't let the link be underlined/however I default my links to be. Then you don't let it change color after I've used it. All bad mojo.

The location of the breadcrumb jumps around a bit, and it really doesn't seem necessary given how horizontal the site is. Your page margins seem to jump around a bit too, on the two pages without the images of the latest passes they seem to be bigger. The page also shifts to the right a tad on the Prices page when the border is below the page. Other than that, looks good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

View PostArenlor, on 23 April 2010 - 05:28 PM, said:

...The big problem was your link to prices page also being red. You need to read up a bit on accessibility I think, blue is generally instantly recognizable as a link, all other colors are slower. You don't let the link be underlined/however I default my links to be. Then you don't let it change color after I've used it. All bad mojo...

...are you serious? What standard are you working off of and where have you been in design for the past 5-6 years? Links are not required to be blue or underlined, especially on menus. This is by far not a standard meant to be adhered to in any practical modern design. The speed difference is so insubstantial that it's not worth bothering with.

Though I will give you that those standards are amazing advice for pre-IE7 era and web 1.0.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:10 PM

Well if you'll take a trip with me back in time to December of 2009, http://www.useit.com...erm-memory.html I wasn't talking about his menu, it was in the middle of the page, I'm guessing you missed it? I must say a lot of things that are good for design are bad for things like accessibility and usability. If you can't use the site because it's crud, it doesn't matter how pretty it is. I give advice based on having the site be used, not looking good. This is called "Site Check" not "Design Check".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:25 PM

Design is a critical element of any site and to ignore it is complete ignorance... It's a 50/50 draw, design and development are equally important and to ignore either is folly.

Site infers an overall view and if you're really so incompetent to make a statement like that I strongly suggest you reevaluate your "knowledge"...

Red is perfectly visible and easy to differentiate from a typical piece of text, your own article you linked to says this...

The ultimate in usability is effectively a microsoft word document, there's a limit to how far you can take anything. So pretty much you're saying that we need to completely disregard the fact that a vast majority of people aren't impaired and screw them over? I appreciate the need for accessibility but at the cost of every other user that comes to your site you have to draw lines...

Now really you're just arguing yourself into a hole here, I'm trying to be nice this time around seeing as you're new but don't push it...

I apologize to the OP for dragging this off-topic but perhaps this post will bring insight to other principles.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:38 PM

Alright so explain then how having a link A: Change color when used and B: Not be the same color as text that was already used and not a link can affect the vast majority of people. If you're so great at this that you don't even realize that you can design a great site without sacrificing usability you seriously have no room to talk. I see no problem with the colors his site uses, too much color causes confusion and distracts from the content, you actually want it to all blend in to one thing and to draw your eye to the content. It's just that people are used to links being a different color and are used to them changing. My mom is 51 and I've been able to see her learn how to use a computer, I've seen people as old as 96 learning to use a computer, and if the site were larger, say a hundred pages, it would be unnavigable to them. To the majority of users really. You have to remember that not everyone understands as much about it as you, and once you understand that you will start to develop sites that work well.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:12 AM

You're really not even worth the time to post against, surely you realize this by now. I'm not sure where in the world you dome from but you need to check your figures...

I said that the highest level is practically a word document, no matter what you do for usability there's a line to be drawn. You can't ever please everyone, and that's a fact of life. You need to please the crowd that your product appeals to, such as a graphic arts site for the blind, it'd be rather pointless.

Whether or not a link was used before is really a trivial matter, not worth bothering with.

There are so many holes in every reply you've made so far I'm trying to be nice and not go to town with them.

You've been on people for using graphics for menu buttons and other such things that really make me wonder how much you actually know and how much you're soapboxing on for some personal reason.

In reality you've shown little to no respect to much of anyone here, if you'd quit being so danged anal about things maybe people would warm up... Don't tempt me to quote...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +