• (2 Pages)
  • +

24 Replies - 2333 Views - Last Post: 29 April 2010 - 04:35 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Website for my first client

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:41 PM

I never said blind. People with limited mobility or other disabilities (think of someone who broke both arms, or who has MS) can control a computer with their voice using a screen reader. I have arthritis, I do occasionally use a screen reader to navigate. DIC is almost impossible to navigate, as are most forums, but that's something you get used to. So I'm not really sure why you think the only people with a disability are people with site issues. My mom has a learning disability, if she goes to a page, clicks on a link, and then returns to the first page, she would not remember which link she has already used. If you'd stop being so stuck up you would realize that you're not the only intelligent person on here. If you have Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X, Linux, FreeBSD, or OpenBSD then your computer comes with voice recognition (or you can get one free quite easily). Turn it on and try to navigate the web. Open up his website and at first glance see if you can remember which pages you were on. Come onto DIC or go to Wikipedia and see if without having separate link colors (override the colors with your own and have them be the same). It may be easy enough on a small site like he made, but what if his next client wants a large site? Your advice is relevant to a single website, mine is advice that is relevant to his career.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:31 PM

My advice is relevant to design in general with some specifics but seeing as you have no idea on design I wouldn't expect you to know. Seriously, just leave it man, you really don't know as much as you'd like to think you do and it's showing.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:03 AM

I can say the same to you. What's more important, that a site looks good, or that you can use the site? I feel it's being able to use the site.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:32 AM

That the site isn't such a visual horror show that I click X within the first 2 seconds, usable or not you have to get their attention and without that usability doesn't mean a thing.

If you're so knowledgeable that should have been obvious, you have within 5 seconds to make an impression. What do you think is going to make a better impression, something that makes you double-take and go wow, or something that has better usability and no design prowess whatsoever. I'll repeat myself, you don't get their attention and make them want to stay your precious usability goes down the toilet within that 5 seconds with a bit of magic called finding another page.

We're completely ignoring the fact that good design IS usability... I've addressed usability issues as far as using all caps in navigation and line-height which are crucial to readability but I suppose you were far too busy on your soapbox to realize that one.

I have no intentions of replying to this, put bluntly you're a fool and not worth wasting the time to post on. Know what you're talking about or don't reply at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:03 PM

View PostArenlor, on 25 April 2010 - 02:03 PM, said:

I can say the same to you. What's more important, that a site looks good, or that you can use the site? I feel it's being able to use the site.

A good design is built around good usability. This doesn't mean accessibility, but usability. I'd much rather have a pretty site than plain text and links.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:36 AM

I've come across websites I didn't even want to be on and stayed on only because of a good design. I'm good at using the internet so I guess I overlook usability a bit. But in my eyes I'd say design first and work usability in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:15 PM

From what I have read I am following Lemur on this topic. He knows about design and knows what he is talking about. I agree with what he has wrote about the CAPS and padding. As this is all part of Typography and this is something that you should look into to improve readability which improves usability.

To create a great design you don't design for everybody as everyone is different and uses sites differently and the sites are target as specific people so if the site was say for people learning to drive then this would be targeted at teenagers or adults in there mid 30's to 40's (from looking at pictures on a site I looked at earlier) and not for people with two broken arms or MS or even 96 year old people.

So what you should do is look into typography and designing articles on sites like smashing magazine.

If someone did have disability that would be using your site then you can keep the same design but here's something you might not know and Arenlor might not know is that you can have a fancy website but using the power of CSS you can have multiple style sheets that some people might never use because the creator has change them to only work on projectors or many other types of mediums that CSS allows you to use.

One last note if someone was disabled that is using your site maybe someone might be helping them to keep them safe on the web or that if many of them are using it then they maybe the target audience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

Needs a scrolling marquee bar :whistling: </exit>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:59 PM

View PostChristoph, on 27 April 2010 - 06:14 PM, said:

Needs a scrolling marquee bar :whistling: </exit>

I agree, would totally kick the coolness of the site by +1 ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:35 AM

View PostArenlor, on 23 April 2010 - 04:28 PM, said:

The two L's being red confused me for a second, not sure if you want to change it.

The red L's are there because in Britain, driving instructors must have Red "L" stuck onto their cars to let other motorists know there maybe a student driving their car. I think it goes well with the theme of the website. Also the use of the blue is to reflect the fact that the instructor's car is coloured blue like the one in the header. When deciding what other colours I could use with there being a clash I settled for a plain grey.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +